• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer CS-88a vs KLH Model 6 vs Pioneer CS-610

willseltzier

New Member
l've had a pair of Pioneer CA 610 since I was in middle school. I'm now almost 30. I recently just picked up a single KLH Model 6 for 7 bucks, and then they had a Pioneer CS 88A behind the counter for 100 bucks that I got for 20 percent off. I'm just confused about what I should do moving forward.

I also purchased a damaged single klh model 6 on eBay for 49 bucks. It just needs the box rebuilt. All the components work fine. Plan moving forward is to build two new boxes for the KLH Model.


My question is: which pair should I keep, and should I try to find a match for the Pioneer CS 88A?

The Pioneer CS 610 have been in my living room, and I mainly use them to play CDs, watch football, and play music. They're paired with a Yamaha RX V697.

I’ve only got space for one set.

Here’s a photo of the damaged box of one of the klh. I plan to rebuild.

Thanks for any input.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2026-09-27_at_9.10.02_AM.jpeg
    Screenshot_2026-09-27_at_9.10.02_AM.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 19
Register to hide this ad
Go with the pair of cs88a’s. Recap and rewire them
Enjoy them and when you decide you want to upgrade to better speakers you can get the same or more when you sell them
Bobhorn
 
What's wrong with your 610's ? Are they the paper mid/tweet drivers or the dome versions?
Just going by pics on the net btw no practical knowledge. Just curious IF those are actually domed drivers how they sound?

Might be a bear trying to find a match to your orphan 88a......then more than likely will need surrounds replaced on the tweeters.....that is a real p.i.t.a....first hand experience on the singles in some 77a I did....correctly, behind the cone.

KLH might need caps by now, hope the dope on the woofers haven't turned to stone.

Lastly those speakers have quite the different sound characteristics so take into consideration of what you mostly listen to and at what levels.

I'm NOT trying to discourage you by NO MEANS. Just take the time to do your homework with each scenario. Hope my 2 cents helps a little bit and others voice their experiences with any/all boxes involved.

Keep us updated.
 
...I recently just picked up a single KLH Model 6 for 7 bucks, ...I'm just confused about what I should do moving forward.

I also purchased a damaged single klh model 6 on eBay for 49 bucks. It just needs the box rebuilt. All the components work fine. Plan moving forward is to build two new boxes for the KLH Model.
If it were me I would cut my losses, move on.

Unless you're a master wood worker you're not going to to be able recreate what KLH achieved when they designed the original cabinets.
 
If it were me I would cut my losses, move on.

Unless you're a master wood worker you're not going to to be able recreate what KLH achieved when they designed the original cabinets.

On a more purely cost basis, it's not economical to build one. Cheaper to just buy one of the many many 6 boxes out there. They're also built like tanks generally.
 
I was disappointed by my CS-88a's even after recapping.
Midrange was too much for me, even after disconnecting one midrange driver.

Just my humble opinion.
 
I was disappointed by my CS-88a's even after recapping.
Midrange was too much for me, even after disconnecting one midrange driver.

Just my humble opinion.


Indeed, while pioneer made many excellent products, their speakers really were never one of them. The really top stuff was excellent, but most of that never left Japan.
 
It is always nice to save a piece of vintage gear, but consider the cost of materials/time and
see if you can pick up a clean pair for say less or much less than $200, sometimes people just
want them gone, so give it time. Good cabinets and drivers are a plus if not mandatory.
Or find a mate for your good one.
 
Back
Top Bottom