• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer cs-911a WHOA

Tyler Prock

Member
So I bought these for resale a few months back got some stands for them and finally decided I would plug them up for a demo and the haven’t left the setup. My cornwalls have been replaced! I just couldn’t believe the liveliness, the smooth detail, the transparency. All of my hifi homies think I’m crazy when I talk about them (none of them have come by for a listen yet) maybe I’ve found a great combination for them and some of my gear isn’t ideal but it all comes together and works so perfectly. Have any of you heard these speakers? Thoughts?

current set up;
McIntosh c39 preamp
McCormack dna .5
Theorems td 103a with an ortofon quintet bronze and the mofi phonostage
Pioneer cs 911a
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
Most will say those are crap. To many drivers, to small a cab for the woofer, sometimes thin walled cabs with lots of edge detraction, bad deign, next to no XO... etc. And with so many drivers come comb filtering, phasing... BUT... We ALL hear completely different, have different rooms, use different front end gear, and prefer different music and presentation. The only one that the sound matters to is you. Enjoy.
 
That’s been the general consensus. Nobody has told me that they are “crap” because everyone I know knows I have “good” taste. But they’ve all been very skeptical of my excitement. That’s why I felt so compelled to write about them. I feel most people who have an opinion on them have never heard a pair or haven’t heard a pair in decades. Curious if there is anyone out there loving these as well.
 
That’s been the general consensus. Nobody has told me that they are “crap” because everyone I know knows I have “good” taste. But they’ve all been very skeptical of my excitement. That’s why I felt so compelled to write about them. I feel most people who have an opinion on them have never heard a pair or haven’t heard a pair in decades. Curious if there is anyone out there loving these as well.

Plenty of opinions expressed previously on here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Pio...HSOMA34QrQIoBHoECAcQBQ&biw=1600&bih=757&dpr=1

"Good taste" is personal and relative.
If the consensus is they sound bad but you like them, then to you they sound good.
Nothing wrong with that, but trying to convince AK'ers otherwise may be a losing battle.
 
No thanks. I've heard A LOT of Pioneer speakers (excluding these and HPM's) but I've NEVER been impresses with Pioneer speakers in general. In fact, I have 2 dozen pairs of speakers and not one is Pioneer. But like someone had previously mentioned, all that matters is if you like them. I can respect that. Enjoy.
 
No thanks. I've heard A LOT of Pioneer speakers (excluding these and HPM's) but I've NEVER been impresses with Pioneer speakers in general. In fact, I have 2 dozen pairs of speakers and not one is Pioneer. But like someone had previously mentioned, all that matters is if you like them. I can respect that. Enjoy.
Buuuuuut you haven’t heard the hpm or these?? From what I understand is that those are the only good ones! Trust me I was in the same boat. Pioneer speakers? A no go. But these on the other hand are another story. They’re a whole different animal than your preconceived notions of what pioneer speakers sound like. That’s why I wrote this I was absolutely shocked.
 
Last edited:
Plenty of opinions expressed previously on here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Pio...HSOMA34QrQIoBHoECAcQBQ&biw=1600&bih=757&dpr=1

"Good taste" is personal and relative.
If the consensus is they sound bad but you like them, then to you they sound good.
Nothing wrong with that, but trying to convince AK'ers otherwise may be a losing battle.
But that’s also my point people who have actually given these speakers the time of day have enjoyed them. The general consensus on these speakers are “too small” “kabuki” “too many drivers” but I’m almost a believer in these people haven’t heard them or didn’t actually give them the time, like I almost didn’t myself. I have heard many speakers as well and have enjoyed popular names and hated the unpopular. But seeing how rare they are I think anyone who is hating on these I personally believe is kinda full of ****. Just based off of brand, style, and size.
 
So I bought these for resale a few months back got some stands for them and finally decided I would plug them up for a demo and the haven’t left the setup. My cornwalls have been replaced! I just couldn’t believe the liveliness, the smooth detail, the transparency. All of my hifi homies think I’m crazy when I talk about them (none of them have come by for a listen yet) maybe I’ve found a great combination for them and some of my gear isn’t ideal but it all comes together and works so perfectly. Have any of you heard these speakers? Thoughts?

current set up;
McIntosh c39 preamp
McCormack dna .5
Theorems td 103a with an ortofon quintet bronze and the mofi phonostage
Pioneer cs 911a
I have 3 pairs of them. One pair bought new in 1978 through a Navy Exchange Catalog for the bargain price of $48 each. They've served me well over the years and their treated-cloth surround means the woofer will last virtually forever. I've replaced the factory tweeters with Bullet Timpano brand tweeters that I find more efficient and just sound a lot better. You made an excellent find. I find NO need for a subwoofer.
 
I've got 2 pairs of their PW-A25 woofers I've been meaning to use in a custom project, things are built like tanks, and the original surrounds are pristine
 
I love my CS 99a in a second system on a Realistic STA 2000D 75 w. I find that they have a wonderful full sound at low volume, yes that includes bass. I had the HPM 100 years ago, I found them too bright and moved them on. The 99's sound better, I do not find them bright.

The quality and craftsmanship of the CS 99a will never be produced again in consumer level speakers in my opinion and had few if any equals in the days they were made. Next to no plastic, the grill emblem, loops on the real wood lattice are metal, the horn is metal. The only plastic is the L-pad knobs and The super tweeters, which are so well made they look ceramic. The baffle board is real veneer. The banana leaf fiber brown colored cone material has a fine weave to it that just says quality. The cloth surrounds, with the supporting thick rubber on the exposed metal frames is just cool and screams durability.

These fine touches and the inviting sound also hide a speaker that will go very loud if called on to do it. They are louder than my Bozak Symphonies and the equal of my Bozak DMS 5500. Yes the larger tower design early 1980s Bozaks have a more refined sound but damn the Pioneers are just so dang sweet and handsome. Admittedly they do get a bit harsh as the volume goes up as do many other speakers that have been through here over the years. My taste have been spoiled by the Bozak sound.

They are keepers to me and since they are on the smaller side they may be my choice if ever forced to downsize as I age and the kids take over. If forced to go even smaller I will go with my JBL 4301b. LOL


Cheers all and may I suggest you check out The Retro Cocktail Hour out on streaming
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom