• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

PIONEER CS06 CROSSOVER HELP

audiolama

Active Member
Sorry guys but im super newbie, but I have recapped with help here. I have a cool looking omnidirectional type speaker that I thought I would recap but im having difficulties finding out a matching value. I attached pictures of speakers, caps, and schematics if anyone can just help the newb out.

Rod

caps.PNG Schem.PNG Screenshot_20200529-162509_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello. 7uF is not a standard value nowadays, you can use a 6.8uF film capacitor. A 6.8uF 100 or 250 Volt film capacitor will be fine and much better than the original electrolytic.

1.7uF is not a standard value either, you can find 1.5uF caps for sure, or parallel a 1uF with a 0.68uF, that will make 1.68uF. Again, use film capacitors of higher voltage.

If you want to use electrolytic capacitors, they need to be "Non Polarized" (NP) or "Bi Polar" (BP). But polypropylene film capacitors or even polyester film capacitors are better than the electrolytics for this applications.

Really cool speakers!
 
I think that the Pioneers were meant to be on the ground - you could get them with cushions so that they would be bar stools.
Those are Ohms, and majestic sounding - I happened to hear a pair today.
 
@ScottGuy and @Nat ..

The ohm speakers are the MODEL I (eye).
They replaced my ohm 2s that have been moved to the basement..I love OHM.. so when I saw these omnidirectional from pioneer had to get them..no match of course..I opened the pioneers and they need a recap and probably a better woofer..

@Nat ..I'm going to pm u and take that offer..thanks
 
I'm guessing that needing a better woofer might mean that the woofers have sagged - being faced down for half a century will do that to you. Face them upward, and weigh them down with something like a cushion or pillow to accelerate the opposite sag - you don't want to have to wait decades to hear your speakers.
But be careful about assuming that a different woofer would be better. Not only do drivers need to have the correct parameters to match specific enclosures, but not all drivers will function well over time face down.
My memory is that the woofer looked very much like the FB (free beating) woofers in the contemporaneous standard Pioneers, and if that is correct, I'd go with them rather than a random choice.
 
Back
Top Bottom