• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer CT-F6262 thrift find!!

metalmando

Active Member
I had the privilege of rescuing a CT-F6262 Pioneer cassette deck at a thrift today for $5.00! Looks very nice, but haven't tried it yet. I'd like to read comments about the quality of this deck. It appears to be a middle-of-the-road in original price, but I can't find many comments about its performance. It looks great next to my mint CT-F500, though!
 
Register to hide this ad
For $5.00, you got a deal. The 500 probably replaced the 6262 in the next model run. I have a couple of 500's, very nice, but a smaller footprint compared to the rest of the line. Look for belts, clean, demag, & enjoy. :thmbsp:
 
Test it out with a tape you can afford to loose. Clean the heads and pinch roller with something that won't destoy the transport. I start with denatured alcohol for the heads, and a good rubber rejuvinator for the pinch roller.
Take the case off and watch what's going on. Start with FF/Rewind and see how the transport does, then, cross your fingers, spin around 3 times, and hit Play.
Hey, sometimes it works for me!

Best of luck.
Steve
 
Good news! The deck sounds very nice, and all controls/features work. This is my first experience with an output knob on a cassette deck. Interesting!
 
Good to hear. :thmbsp: Check the Pioneer manual database, there might be some documentation for that series. The output control in a nutshell, is so you can match the sound level of other sources when switching around on your amp or receiver. I went thru a 9191 a while back, and was pretty impressed with it's performance. Most of my Pioneer decks are the blue flourescan, but I like some big meters too. :D
 
You did well....

Though it was in the middle of the line deck, they put out a good sound. You are lucky it works. The only thing I dont like about them is its a little tght inside most cassette decks.

Just finished up a mint Pioneer CTF 1000. Lots of stuff inside it. Came to me with a REW and FF issue. The center motor's rubber wheel was glazed over and was slipping. Its a customers and I was real careful with it. Did not want to trash it. After looking closely inside I noticed it had three screws holding the motor in place. Once out of the way, I was able to clean that wheel and the roller on each hub. Now it works perfect.

Even though these deck use DC motors I want one. Dont need it but I have space in my rack in the shop. It will look nice there!!!

Good luck with the 6262.:tresbon: I have a cassette deck in the truck, so I use them. My TEAC 450 needs company here in the shop.

Eric:music:
 
Thank you, Eric!

I'm still kind of taken by the output knob! I wonder what its original/intended purpose was? It acts as a volume control for the deck, and that may have been a common thing, but I've never saw such a thing before.
 
Better Deck have output levels....

Thank you, Eric!

I'm still kind of taken by the output knob! I wonder what its original/intended purpose was? It acts as a volume control for the deck, and that may have been a common thing, but I've never saw such a thing before.

Don't know why they are there. I soemtimes us it to lower the volume instead of using my amp. Sometimes I record to high a level. Lowering the vol. cut down on distortion.

Eric:music:
 
I've seen the same deck at the local GW two days ago.
Almost mint condition, but they were asking $19.99. I don't really need another deck, so I passed. Looks nice though!
 
Don't know why they are there. I soemtimes us it to lower the volume instead of using my amp. Sometimes I record to high a level. Lowering the vol. cut down on distortion.

Eric:music:

They're actually one of the more useful controls. Just like better tuners will have a variable output. I try and match the sources to the same given volume level. For instance, you need to change a tape on your RTR, or change LP's. These things take a few minutes to do, so I may switch to the tuner or cassette deck while I do what I need to do, and the sound level doesn't burst up, or you can't hear it. You crank up the amp while you thread the tape, switch back to your reel, and "Bam" you have SHMBO screaming at you to turn that **** down! Puts a damper on my evening. :D
 
Pioneer CT-F6262

I bought one of these off Craigslist for $25.00. Did I pay too much? At any rate, it sat in my hi fi closet for some months and I took it out to my shop for my shop system and it was pretty hesitant about playing properly. I fiddled with it most of the day and finally got it to play fron one end of the tape to the other. The tapes which did not play properly are all pretty old and well used. Could there be problems inherent in old and well used tapes which would make it hard to play them?
And... I have read about cleaning ... how is that done and what chemicals are used?
Thanks in advance.
 
I know it has been 7 years but I wonder if he has messed with it yet?
How do these age-old threads keep getting pulled out of the dead?
 
I know it has been 7 years but I wonder if he has messed with it yet?
How do these age-old threads keep getting pulled out of the dead?

New folks coming here looking for a specific deck or part number and get thrown into this thread by google...sign up...reply to an old thread...and we all gain a new interest in it ourselves.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tgk
The Pioneer CT-F6262 is decent deck. Check the general alignment, as mine was misaligned from the factory. Things like speed, heads, and EQ all set wrong. The best thing about this deck is the butter dish tape door, with the fail safe eject.
 
Back
Top Bottom