• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Pioneer DSS9 in the house!

That's great news! I wish you luck in your search for an original PG woofer and a successful repair of the original one.
 
That's great news! I wish you luck in your search for an original PG woofer and a successful repair of the original one.
Feeling a tad better. At least I can now work on repairing the cone. I didn't want to disturb anything before postal could examine them.

Thanks!
 
Congrats

Hey congrats on you acquisition! Very sorry to here about the damage though. Frustrating to say the least.
I have recently acquired a pair of pioneer S55t's, I think they sound wonderful, actually much better than some monitor audio silver 2s that I heard the other day in a shop. Anyone know about these? I'm using with a rotel atm, but would love suggestions of amps that these would go well with. Sorry for butting in!!!
 
Last edited:
Hey congrats on you acquisition! I have recently acquired a pair of pioneer S55t's, I think they sound wonderful, actually much better than some monitor audio silver 2s that I heard the other day in a shop. Anyone know about these? I'm using with a rotel atm, but would love suggestions of amps that these would go well with. Sorry for butting in!!!
Thanks, and no worries. Questions like yours are the norm for these forums.
 
Cracked HPM-900 Cone

I've been thinking about that, not the coffee filter, but something along those lines. Look forward to more ideas. Definitely want to keep it light, little "mass" as possible. Not interested in debates over how much is too much, just wish to keep it light. I would like to ensure that the crack doesn't spread. Bye the way, what did you use to secure it? Adhesive? Epoxy? 2-part Epoxy? Inquiring minds want/need to know.

I will post whatever solution I attempt in hopes it will help others with PG style cones.

For what it's worth, my HPM-900 replacement foams were apparently too stiff and one of my cones cracked from foam to dust cap while cranking up some tunes recently.
I just ran a bead of super glue along the crack. Seems to be holding up so far.
Good luck with your project!
 
For what it's worth, my HPM-900 replacement foams were apparently too stiff and one of my cones cracked from foam to dust cap while cranking up some tunes recently.
I just ran a bead of super glue along the crack. Seems to be holding up so far.
Good luck with your project!
Well they say "good enough for the space shuttle". Naturally I'm optimistic, from my own experience, but reading feedback like this certainly helps.

Thanks
 
I have the DSS-5. I had difficulty finding surrounds and settled on a rubber surround, replacing foam. I am not sure this was the best choice as I removed foam, rubber being more stiff and heavier. The cones are famously brittle and (researching my pair) I encountered stories of damage being inflicted during a refoam.

Yes they have dual voice coil woofers, 8 and 4 ohm circuits.

All in all a good speaker. I prefer it over my JBL l100.
 
I have the DSS-5. I had difficulty finding surrounds and settled on a rubber surround, replacing foam. I am not sure this was the best choice as I removed foam, rubber being more stiff and heavier. The cones are famously brittle and (researching my pair) I encountered stories of damage being inflicted during a refoam.

Yes they have dual voice coil woofers, 8 and 4 ohm circuits.

All in all a good speaker. I prefer it over my JBL l100.
Any idea what the VC diameter is? I never ran my S-710/910 with good foam (already rotted when I got them). The DSS9 were all but gone when they arrived and I wasn't about to push these babies without foam.

I'm really not sure what people are going by when it comes to rubber surrounds. I have Celestion DL10 speakers that have rubber for the woofers and mids. Touching the surrounds they are definitely more pliable than foam. I would NEVER argue that rubber is lighter, when in fact it is heavier. But the amount of "mass" actually moving can't be a whole lot. I'm trying to secure another pair of S-710 woofers. If I do, I just might install foam and test them with DATS and compare to the T/S of the 710 with rubber surrounds. Might be the best way to put this argument to rest. Just to expand a little on that last statement, I feel that with some speakers the "perceived" impact may be greatly exaggerated. The problem, also, is that not all rubber surrounds are alike. Some are thicker and hence less pliable and heavier. But some, in my experience, are lighter and more pliable than the foam counter part. Case in point are some cones I purchased for my Infinity RS-4000. The rubber was very clearly more pliable, but also heavier, just slightly. I didn't have DATS at the time, but do now. One has foam and one has rubber. Hmmm... I'll work on this, likely this weekend.
 
Owners manual

Thought others might like this. Again, thank you Dave for including this. Can someone combine these images into one PDF? This should be added to the AK Documents archive.
 

Attachments

  • DSS-9 Operating guide pg1.jpg
    DSS-9 Operating guide pg1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSS-9 Operating guide pg2.jpg
    DSS-9 Operating guide pg2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSS-9 Operating guide pg3.jpg
    DSS-9 Operating guide pg3.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSS-9 Operating guide pg4.jpg
    DSS-9 Operating guide pg4.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 54
Just saw this thread. I hope you do manage to get those woofers fixed. I LOVE my DSS-9's. After I got mine, my speaker search stopped cold. Haven't had any urge to change since then.

FWIW, Parts Express did a great job refoaming mine.
 
Just saw this thread. I hope you do manage to get those woofers fixed. I LOVE my DSS-9's. After I got mine, my speaker search stopped cold. Haven't had any urge to change since then.

FWIW, Parts Express did a great job refoaming mine.
Thanks. Nice system you have there. Ah..to own a 1980. Bad ass receiver. Have a Fisher RS-1080 (175wpc) and Sansui 9090db. The latter I haven't been able to get the tuner working.

As you can see I'm keeping this thread alive with tidbits. I plan to start on the woofers tomorrow and hopefully have working speakers by Sunday.
 
It is such a shame that Pioneer did so well designing these DSS9's, but made a cone out of ultra-brittle materials, and then there's no backup plan when these shatter.

Yeah, I know, I know, 40 year old product. Is there no product support anymore?? :)
 
It is such a shame that Pioneer did so well designing these DSS9's, but made a cone out of ultra-brittle materials, and then there's no backup plan when these shatter.

Yeah, I know, I know, 40 year old product. Is there no product support anymore?? :)
Makes you wonder. I can get most any parts I want for my El Camino, but find a cone for my speaker, yeah right. I'm thinking of making reproductions with either kevlar or woven roving. I'm not up for "injection" molding, though we have a place here in town that does injection molding. I have enough drivers to experiment with. Two S-910 woofers (one missing cone entirely, the other pretty shattered, and one S-710 frame.

There are plastic (poly) cones available, but the S-710/910 require modes to get them to fit, and the DSS9 cone I believe requires mods as well. Generic cones basically.
 
Beginning the tear down. Working on the woofers today. If all goes well, audition by tonight (maybe), realistically tomorrow.

Fired up now.
 
One woofer prepped, the other repaired. I'm letting the latter sit most of the day to give the beads (front and rear) of glue to set. Little bit "cleaner" job than I did with the S-910. I had to take a break and get some sustenance. I've also pulled the second set of pots and began cleaning them as well. Looking closer at the bracing I found they are glued AND screwed into place. That's serious bracing. More images coming.
 
That's great it's progressing. You're in for a real treat when it's done!!!
Both woofers completed, successfully and without incident! Whoohoo! I'll be posting images shortly. Taking them home tonight and hope to check them out fully. May not get much quality time in tonight. Daughter and kids were out of the house this week (temporary) so the wife and I have had some alone time. Can't wait till she's out permanent. Going on 26, three children, too much for me. Can't wait to listen to these speakers!
 
Surgery images

I found the bracing better than typical. There were screws installed in the bracing, not just glued in place.

I show only the front repair to the cone. I'll post, later, the rear image.

This is the "good" woofer prepped and ready for surround.

Woofer part number and frame number in last images.

I just need to finish cleaning the pots, then load up and go home.
 

Attachments

  • Bracing.JPG
    Bracing.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 73
  • crack repair.JPG
    crack repair.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 90
  • woofer one clean.jpg
    woofer one clean.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 85
  • woofer part number.JPG
    woofer part number.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 80
  • frame number.JPG
    frame number.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 85
Both woofers completed, successfully and without incident! Whoohoo! I'll be posting images shortly. Taking them home tonight and hope to check them out fully. May not get much quality time in tonight. Daughter and kids were out of the house this week (temporary) so the wife and I have had some alone time. Can't wait till she's out permanent. Going on 26, three children, too much for me. Can't wait to listen to these speakers!

Oh man, I feel your pain. Mine is 27 but only has one son and that is enough for me.

It is great to hear that you have the repairs done. I can't wait to see the pics and bet you can't wait to fire them buggers up for a listen. I wish you good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom