Hello!
I have a Pioneer F900 deck that I've been repairing and have almost 100%. My question is about the slip clutch on the takeup reel spindle (not the one on the idler). This unit has all new belts and idler tire, and has very good torque to the spindles in all modes now. Yesterday I was playing a test tape and the idler was spinning much faster than the takeup spindle which tells me the clutch was properly slipping and allowing the spindle motor to run more or less freely while still applying sufficient torque to the takeup reel to wind the tape. Then later, using the same tape I noticed that the idler was spinning at the same rate as the takeup spindle, which didn't seem right to me. I suspected that this was straining the motor and putting too much tension on the tape, and when I felt the spindle motor it was starting to get warm (which I'd expect given that it wasn't being allowed to run freely).
I'm not sure what changed between the clutch seeming to work properly and not, but I'm not really sure what to do at this point. The service manual simply says that if the torque is out of spec on the takeup spindle to just replace the assembly, but it seems like it should be serviceable. For the life of me I can't figure out how to disassemble it though. The exploded view shows that the end of the spindle (which they are calling a "reel cap") is a separate piece, but I don't want to break it trying to pull it off or unscrew it, but that seems like it's probably the way it comes apart.
When I operate the tape presence switch by hand with no tape in the unit and manually slow the spindle down it ever so slightly causes the clutch to slip a teeny tiny bit but mostly it just keeps putting full torque on the spindle until I apply quite a bit of force on it which eventually slows the motor to a stop. I do not suspect the motor is bad as it's really trying hard to turn the spindle against me stopping it.
It feels like there is simply too much pressure from the springs on the spindle pushing the top part of the clutch against the felt to allow it to slip properly. Everything just feels too tight.
Any thoughts? There is surprisingly little to nothing on the web that I can find about this on the F900/F950/F1250. Everything I've found is just about problems with the idler.
Thanks in advance!
I have a Pioneer F900 deck that I've been repairing and have almost 100%. My question is about the slip clutch on the takeup reel spindle (not the one on the idler). This unit has all new belts and idler tire, and has very good torque to the spindles in all modes now. Yesterday I was playing a test tape and the idler was spinning much faster than the takeup spindle which tells me the clutch was properly slipping and allowing the spindle motor to run more or less freely while still applying sufficient torque to the takeup reel to wind the tape. Then later, using the same tape I noticed that the idler was spinning at the same rate as the takeup spindle, which didn't seem right to me. I suspected that this was straining the motor and putting too much tension on the tape, and when I felt the spindle motor it was starting to get warm (which I'd expect given that it wasn't being allowed to run freely).
I'm not sure what changed between the clutch seeming to work properly and not, but I'm not really sure what to do at this point. The service manual simply says that if the torque is out of spec on the takeup spindle to just replace the assembly, but it seems like it should be serviceable. For the life of me I can't figure out how to disassemble it though. The exploded view shows that the end of the spindle (which they are calling a "reel cap") is a separate piece, but I don't want to break it trying to pull it off or unscrew it, but that seems like it's probably the way it comes apart.
When I operate the tape presence switch by hand with no tape in the unit and manually slow the spindle down it ever so slightly causes the clutch to slip a teeny tiny bit but mostly it just keeps putting full torque on the spindle until I apply quite a bit of force on it which eventually slows the motor to a stop. I do not suspect the motor is bad as it's really trying hard to turn the spindle against me stopping it.
It feels like there is simply too much pressure from the springs on the spindle pushing the top part of the clutch against the felt to allow it to slip properly. Everything just feels too tight.
Any thoughts? There is surprisingly little to nothing on the web that I can find about this on the F900/F950/F1250. Everything I've found is just about problems with the idler.
Thanks in advance!