• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer FS51s (KEF designer that Pioneer hired)?

Register to hide this ad
All that performance for $200 a pair !?

22 pounds each, I have turntables that weigh that much !

Hard to believe, but Chinese do work cheap. Proceed with caution IMO.
 
Last edited:
Question - has anyone heard these outside of a Best Buy or other place? Any views on them - are they cheap audiophile at $200/pair or just name speakers that don't deliver?


I never heard them but I wouldn't be surprised if they sounded pretty good. Given Pioneer's in house resources, a gifted designer and cheap labor it's certainly possible they are very good. And I'm quite impressed with how good my $200 a pair KRKs sound.
 
Last edited:
If this is the guy responsible for Kef's latest Q-series he shouldn't be making speakers anywhere, Pioneer or otherwise.
 
It's not. Andrew Jones is a genius, especially with the mega-buck TAD speakers. It'd be interesting to hear what he can do with such a limited budget.
 
I heard them at a BestBuy, the use of 3x 5.25 inch speakers, plus a tweeter is interesting.

They have a bass port behind the tweeter and the cabinets are the popular "boat tail" curved design.

Problem is I listen to a lot of classical with strings along with Van Morrison, so it is tough to audition them in a noisy environment like a BestBuy; plus the acoustic setup of what is essentially a warehouse with very high ceilings, is nothing like the room I would use them in.
 
I heard them at a BestBuy; the acoustic setup of what is essentially a warehouse with very high ceilings, is nothing like the room I would use them in.

Still curious as to what you thought of them even in this setup. :yes: :scratch2:

Scott
 
If this is the guy responsible for Kef's latest Q-series he shouldn't be making speakers anywhere, Pioneer or otherwise.

He's not. He left KEF sometime in the early or middle part of last decade. He was the head guy when they did the original bandpass-woofer 4th-gen Uni-Q Reference line, IIRC, and the IMO the first good-sounding Q-series. (Qx5, with the milky-transcluent cones.)

Really nice guy, BTW. I e-mailed KEF as a clueless 17 year-old who had just bought their KAR System 160Q car audio speakers, and ended up corresponding with Mr. Jones for a little while.

I'm surprised that he was involved a line without a coincident top driver, as all of his previous efforts I know of (KEF, TAD, the well-regarded Pioneer Elite line) use such a driver. Perhaps the build costs were simply too high.

I don't know anything about these speakers, though.
 
Before getting into vintage audio I considered getting a pair of these (as they seemed better then the junky Sony floor speakers on Amazon). Glad I didn't though, knowing what $200 gets you on the used market now (heck the entire system in my signature was less then $200 all together).
 
Still curious as to what you thought of them even in this setup. :yes: :scratch2:

Scott

They have strong bass, as you would expect, seemed to have some clarity (that is, not "boomy" as some speakers seemed to designed to be), and sounded pretty good. However they were not on the floor, but inside the shelf with other components on the shelf above. Seemed sensitive.

At medium levels of volume, I could feel air moving back and forth in the rear bass port.

I think 3x 5.25 speakers is roughly equivalent to an 8" woofer (4x 5.25 would get you similar bass though with more power-handling as 10.5"). I would assume that the 5.25 would give decent midrange as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom