• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer HPM-200

Just purchased a decent set of these, only a few issues to address. They need a woofer with the dampening ring (lower frequency) and a protective screen for the midrange. Even with a replacement Pyle woofer these really "sing". If anyone knows of parts or a speaker being parted out a lead would be greatly appreciated. Still battling this disease, it may be terminal.
Thanks in advance, Don
 
Register to hide this ad
Hpm-200

I have a set of these and I refoamed them and re-terminated the tweeter and super tweeter. Mine doesn't have a protective screen on the dome midranges but I have seen others that do, I don't know for sure if they are supposed to or not. In other words if the ones with the screen is original or not or if mine without the screen is original, maybe some did have the screen and some didn't have the screen from the factory or there was a different series. Do a search on HPM-200, there was a guy who had a spare woofer, but I don't know if it was one with the mass loading on it. Once you get them put back into shape and get the right amp and preamp to drive them they will astound you with their performance. It took me a lot of playing with amps and preamps to get what I wanted. One amp or preamp would be too boomy and another combination would be to spitty with the S sounds sounding bad. It drove me crazy until I found the right combination. I got very disappointed and almost gave up on the speakers until I found the right combination. What I'm trying to say is don't give up on the speakers because they seem to reproduce whatever is upstream of them. They make records sound really good also and CD's and NPR on radio, hell everything sounds good on them.

Kenny
 
Kenny, I've seen two pairs including mine and both have (had) the screens. Maybe they produced a different production run without the screens?
 
Could be, I don't know. I took one of the dome midranges out and while they don't say Pioneer on them they do have M409 on them and I think that is the right midrange and is original. they are a fabric dome. All I know is there is probably a lot of people that might disagree, but the speaker system does sound nice and balanced from lows to highs. Mine have almost perfect cabinets and grill cloths. I stumbled onto them at a DAV and they wanted $49.99 for them and I grabbed them. I didn't even know anything about them when I got them. I found out later that they are fairly rare. They are made in America and they look and feel like it. I didn't know until later that they were designed by a former JBL engineer. I have a pair of HPM-500's and to me they are not anything at all like them. I consider myself lucky to have them.
 
Back
Top Bottom