• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer HPM-60 = "West Coast sound"?

noahBH

Active Member
As per the title, for those of you who have heard both HPM-60 and/or HPM-100 speakers and also JBL speakers of the same era (L100/36/26/96, etc), would you say that the HPMs have the same or similar "west coast sound"?

The reason I ask is because while I love my HPM-60s, those JBLs sure are sexy looking speakers, and the hype around them has me very curious. Every time I see a pair for sale I am tempted, but then I wonder if I would just be paying 2-3X as much money for speakers. E.g. I paid $250 CAD for my HPM-60s, meanwhile a decent pair of L26's will go for around $350 - $400, and the L36's will go for $700 - $800.

I would love it if someone could tell me to stop lusting over JBLs because my Pioneers are similar enough that it wouldnt be worth it.
 
Register to hide this ad
Very similar designs, quite possibly by much the same design team as Bart Locanthi left JBL for Pioneer, where he designed the HPM series.

Yes, "West Coast Sound" indeed. Locanthi designed both the L100 and the HPM series I think, but I could be wrong. Same design philosophy.

I have HPM-500s (next version of the HPM-40s) and HPM-900s that I got for a steal because they were beat up -- had to find a working driver for one of those -- and I have loved them since 1981 or 82 when I bought the -500s new.

But this is Audiokarma, and you should indeed buy more speakers..... Probably another amp or two as well.
 
L36
4311
HPM-60
BA A200
KG4
Large Advents
Large Advents Econowave’d
ADS 1230
SDA-2A
Snell A3
Infinity RS-3B

The HPMs are forward sounding West Coast like JBLs to my non audiophile ears. I really like them and most of speakers listed above.

That west coast sound is typically love or hate from what I read, and the same goes for HPMs.

For the money there is something I like about acoustic suspension speakers that pleases me for every day listening. For the record, I am smitten with Kloss value speakers for the masses. They are not for everyone around here, but seem to sound very good on almost all my rigs.

My recent venture with the Econowave is really eye opening. I guess my point, don’t think you will see big differences on the Bart design to your ears…. and I prefer the 60s over my JBLs. It is likely many will disagree but I want to share my opinion.

If you can re-foam and do a little soldering maybe try something different with OLAs with fresh foam and crossover recap. I have done at it at least 6 sets for friends, and they ALL are absolutely floored with the sound. The Econowave is a newer thing for me, but I really impressed with those JBL 220ti horns and legendary Advent Alnico woofers.

Good luck.
 
Thanks Super Noob, that is very helpful list of comparators.

Funny you should mention econowave, as I've been looking into that lately. I have a pair of Sansui SP2000 with 12" alnico woofers and rather average mids and tweeters. They are also missing the crossovers, so I've been thinking about doing the conversion with them, as the cabs are nice and solid.

There just so happens to be a pair of large advents for sale in my area right now...oh boy, could be trouble :)
 
Had the HPM-60's paired with a Fisher RS-1060 (125wpc) receiver. Audible from 3 blocks, amazing combo. Way too much for my listening room.
 
Had the HPM-60's paired with a Fisher RS-1060 (125wpc) receiver. Audible from 3 blocks, amazing combo. Way too much for my listening room.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm listening to them right now with a little 3.5 wpc tube amp and love the combo. I primarily run them with a Pioneer SX-838 though, which is also a great combination, for my space.
 
Back
Top Bottom