• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer P-D70 laser replacement

cochner

New Member
Anybody know where to buy a replacement laser for a p-d70 pioneer? Brought two to a pretty good local repair place and the guy has been looking for a few months and hasn't found any yet. When I asked if anything might cross reference, he said these lasers were built specifically for that unit. Any help would be appreciated. I miss the sound.
 
Register to hide this ad
Anybody know where to buy a replacement laser for a p-d70 pioneer? Brought two to a pretty good local repair place and the guy has been looking for a few months and hasn't found any yet. When I asked if anything might cross reference, he said these lasers were built specifically for that unit. Any help would be appreciated. I miss the sound.

Welcome to the AK community! According to http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/#P , the CD (laser) mechanism is identified as VWY-061 / VWY-063 . Replacement instruction may be found in the Service Manual: https://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Pioneer-PD-70-Service-Manual.pdf .
 
PS: before concluding that the laser mechanism needs replacement, please consider the possibility of other reasons for performance failure, following these guiding steps: http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSPORT/laser/Laserology.html
Thanks, greatly, for a ton of info. I'm going to print this and share with the guy working on the two players. If he seems receptive, I'll leave them with him. If he seems like he knows all this, I'll settle up and take the units with me. Your excellent troubleshooting guide I think I could follow, at least get a good start on ruling out the laser being defective. Again, much appreciated.
 
Welcome to the AK community! According to http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/#P , the CD (laser) mechanism is identified as VWY-061 / VWY-063 . Replacement instruction may be found in the Service Manual: https://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Pioneer-PD-70-Service-Manual.pdf .
Greatly appreciate the lists. When I get to school I'm going to print them and cross reference compatability (already noticed 2 other pioneers and another brand using the same converter). I'll print the manual, too. In reading the post below this, may not need lasers but have other, more common, less expensive issues worth checking. Thanks again for the info.
 
Back
Top Bottom