• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-12D viscous arm lowering fix?

tubegrrl

New Member
Not sure if I am describing this correctly, but am restoring a PL-12D, everything is golden except the arm lowers really fast, not damped like I think it is supposed to. I think there probably was some fluid or grease added to the spring lowering assembly? Anyone have any experience restoring the smooth lowering function?

I did try to search, but could not come up with an immediate hit.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Not sure if I am describing this correctly, but am restoring a PL-12D, everything is golden except the arm lowers really fast, not damped like I think it is supposed to. I think there probably was some fluid or grease added to the spring lowering assembly? Anyone have any experience restoring the smooth lowering function?

I did try to search, but could not come up with an immediate hit.

Thanks!

Welcome to AK!

What you need is 300,000 cSt silicone oil. It needs to be applied to the cuing mechanism. This sometimes requires the disassembly of the cuing mechanism but you can sometimes get away with slathering the exposed part of the shaft with the silicone.

To see what I'm talking about you should download a copy of the PL-12D service manual at the VinylEngine. You'll need to register but it's free. Then you can download the PDF of the manual for free.

You'll also need the silicone too, of course. You can get that at TurntableBasics.

Good luck!

John
 
Thanks for the quick reply! I already have the service manual from vinyl engine, and saw the part on the exploded view, but it was not obvious what needed to be done. Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom