• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-4 vs Technics SL-D3

oboeman123

New Member
I am fairly new into the world of records. Such great sound I can't get enough! I bought a SL-D3 for my first turntable and am very happy about it. I just got a Pioneer PL-4 at the thrift store, and after fixing speed controls (Thanks Beej) I have been using it. I can't tell if it sounds better or just different from the SL-D3. Besides the fact that the SL-D3 is fully automatic compared to semi-auto PL-4...what are your opinions of the two? Stick with the SL-D3 or make the switch to the PL-4? Thanks for the input.
 
Register to hide this ad
One has the S arm with the standard headshell, the other has the straight arm with proprietary headshell.:scratch2:

The S arm with the standard 1/2 inch headshell would be preferable by some.
 
It's really apples and oranges. The D3 was the next to last s-arm series by Technics, while the PL-4 was the first straight arm series by Pioneer. Very close in time period and relative quality. Straight arm is low mass and mates better with high compliance (low tracking force) carts; the s-arm, while it can still run those, prefers lower compliance carts. And they will sound different because of the different styles of arm, and also that the Technics and Pioneer engineers designed their arms with a different sound signature.

If you might think of acquiring multiple cartridges, the Technics has the edge. While both tts have removable headshells, the Technics uses a standard one, while the Pioneer uses a proprietary one, different from the other Japanese straight arms tables. It's no longer available new and tends to be difficult to find and more expensive.

EDIT: Looks like Earl beat me to the headshell issue. :D
 
I don't have many cartridges. Right now I'm using a AT440MLa. To my ears the Pioneer seems to have a little clearer sound. Again I don't know if that is because if it really is or just a change of sound.
 
It's really apples and oranges. The D3 was the next to last s-arm series by Technics, while the PL-4 was the first straight arm series by Pioneer. Very close in time period and relative quality. Straight arm is low mass and mates better with high compliance (low tracking force) carts; the s-arm, while it can still run those, prefers lower compliance carts. And they will sound different because of the different styles of arm, and also that the Technics and Pioneer engineers designed their arms with a different sound signature.

If you might think of acquiring multiple cartridges, the Technics has the edge. While both tts have removable headshells, the Technics uses a standard one, while the Pioneer uses a proprietary one, different from the other Japanese straight arms tables. It's no longer available new and tends to be difficult to find and more expensive.

EDIT: Looks like Earl beat me to the headshell issue. :D

More like me beating my head against the wall until another AK member came to my rescue with a spare headshell for my Pioneer PL-7.:thmbsp: :D
 
Back
Top Bottom