• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-41 and Signet MR ME info requested

aschoenberg

New Member
Hello All
Just picked up a PL-41 with a Signet MR ME cartridge. I can't find any information on this cartridge so I can't find the recommended gram weight.
Additionally, I am looking for information regarding lubricating the PL-41 - seems the platter is stuck and I don't want to break the table. Also doesn't appear to have anti skating adjustment - is this an issue.
Thanks for your help
 
Register to hide this ad
Platter wont turn? Dont force it! take off the cover around the 33/45 selector and see if the belt is there and on the motor capstan. If the belt is on and tight,take it off the capstan and see if platter will turn. I have a pl 50 thats very simular to yours,and my platter spins pretty hard by hand with the belt on,but like butter with it off.

Trick to getting platter off is to remove rubber mat,then put your fingers in the round holes and pull up as far as it will go,then hold it there and tap on the spindle with a rubber mallet,or piece of wood,or srewdriver handle. The platter should pop off ,it might take a bit ,but it will,its on a tapered shaft.

The spindle bearing could be froze up
 
If the spindle is froze up put a few drops of oil like sewing machine or gun oil around the spindle were it it comes out of the tables base,and let it sit a few days,maybe ad a drop or two everyday.That might help it free up without damage, If you do get it to free up it will still need took apart and reoiled completely,and also there is a flat fiber disc in there the spindle rides on that will most likely be broke,new ones can be found on ebay
 
I guess I did not explain myself well - platter spins fine without noise, but in reading the manual it says to lubricate at oil port under platter and on spindle - I could not get the platter to come off and I was afraid of damaging the table, so I was looking for advice on platter removal and also on the issue with antiskating adjustment and if this table is known to have any issues - since it is brand new to me.
Also it came with a Signet MR ME that I know nothing about and so wanted to find out if anyone had info on tracking and gram weight
Thanks
 
Signet used to be a high-line name used by Audio Technica for some products. I know of it being used to label some of their top-line headphones and speakers. Not sure if they used it for cartridges, but since they are a prevalent cart maker, it's likely. I would check with them.
 
Back
Top Bottom