• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-510a speed pulsed then motor seized

Remac81

New Member
I unplugged my DD turntable about two days ago to remove the old stand and await my new cabinet setup. When I plugged it back up today and started to play, I noticed a gritty dragging sound then saw that the strobe was showing that the speed was fluctuating in a pulsing pattern. I figured it might need some Deoxit in the speed pots, so I sprayed them and they seemed to turn faster and smoother. Still pulsing. Also sprayed the buttons for 33/45 and then the on/off switch and finally sprayed some into the motor itself after removing the platter.

A couple of times after spraying the motor, I had to give the platter a little help to spin up from zero. Then while toggling the on/off switch rather quickly, the motor just stopped. I manually spun the platter but could tell the motor was seized. Should I keep spraying Deoxit all over the place, or was that my mistake? Is this fixable? What should I do?

Many thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, I definitely would never spray deoxit into a motor. What deoxit is it? Just the contact cleaner or the stuff for pots with lubricant in it? I imagine a contact cleaner would destroy the lubricants in the motor. Did you actually take the motor apart to do this or were you just spraying willy nilly at/into things?

I suppose you could try taking the motor apart properly, clean the bearings, and apply a small amount of proper oil to it and see if that gets it spinning again. Not much to lose at this point.
 
So I think I've mostly fixed it. I opened up the motor last night and cleaned the spindle and housing with IPA and the put a few drops of oil in there. Now it's spinning like it did before the pulsing. The speed on 33 is locking better than it was even, even though it's still impossible to freeze the stroboscope at 45. Maybe it needs a new 45 pot, but it's fully functional at 33 as is. Thanks for the input, all!
 
Back
Top Bottom