• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-516 compared to the PL-518 Much difference?

Deerwood

Active Member
I just acquired a Pioneer PL-516 and enjoying it after good cleanup and detail etc. I was looking for a 518 but got this one for $95.00 with original headshell and a ADC cart with a SLM63 stylus. I bought a new dust cover for it and belt for a total investment of $227.18. Should I be content with this one or continue to look for a 518? I currently have an AT headshell with a AT-VMN 95ML stylus and cart in it. Are they that much different and if so what? Thanks! ; )
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_6094773575863008722 (2).jpg
    thumbnail_6094773575863008722 (2).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 40
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 40
Register to hide this ad
The biggest difference between these two decks is that the 518 has a different tone arm. The tone arm on the 516 is the same as what is one the belt drive 514. Actually the 518 has the same tone arm that is on the premier PL-560. BUT I dont think you would hear a big diffenrence in sound quality.

I have a two 518'sd right now and finishing up restoring one of them for my son. I paid about 200 for each one which isnt bad but older Pioneer decks are going up in value! I wouldnt mind finding a 560 for a decent price but even parts decks are 300-400$$

Your investment is good I wold just stick with the 516.


Steve,
 
Thanks Steve, I think I'll do that unless a good deal on one drops in my lap! I looked up the Pl-560's and they're quite spendy! ; )
 
How do you like the ADC SLM63? I haven't hooked that one up yet! That's the one the came in the original headshell. ; )
 

Attachments

  • DSCN4897 (2).JPG
    DSCN4897 (2).JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 16
Thanks! I knew the tone arm was different by comparison and read about the direct drive. If a good deal comes up on one I'll get it but for now I'll be enjoying mine! ; )
 
I purchased a PL 518 locally for 200.00 last year, the price was reasonable given what they tend to go for although it needs a dust cover and new feet which will be over 200.00 but certainly worth doing. It is a very quiet turntable and I like the semi auto function. For lack of a better description it allows the music to play in a way that is engaging - I also have a JVC QL Y5F, Sony PS X60 and Sansui SR 525, all capable and I find the PL 518 more than holds up.


If you do eventually find one that is affordable I would definitely get it.
 
Yes, That's my plan! I got my dust cover on eBay for $115.43 with tax and shipping! I made offer of $100.00 and they countered. But they are brand new and fit most of the 5 series check info. The feet are there also for $39.00. My other T.T. is a a PL-15D Ser. II Thanks! ; )
 
Back
Top Bottom