• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-518 plinth

Imme1956

Active Member
I have a Pioneer PL-518 that I have long wanted to veneer the plinth with something other than the original sterile gray. I don't really want to take it out of commission long or goof it up. I was thinking about buying another plinth, veneer it, then transfer the works, PL-518 plinths don't come up often and they want more than i would be willing to pay.
My question relates to whether any other Pioneer plinth has the same dimensions, cut out as the PL-518?
I do see 514s and 516s come up for a more reasonable price.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have redone both a 514 and two 518's It isnt hard Just chronicle your work and make sure the auto return is lined up when you put it all back together BUT Pioneer's are easy to take apart and tune. I rec. you make a template to line up holes after it is veneered. I rec. 3m peel and stick if you dont want to fool with glues and clamps...more equipment to buy. Also when yous trip the old finish with a heat gun sand it down smooth and seal it with a Shellac to prepare for the veneer. It will stick much better!

Also good resources for replacement feet on EBAY and new dustcovers.

Steve,
 

Attachments

  • PIO 2 SMALL.png
    PIO 2 SMALL.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 106
  • PIO 3 smaall.png
    PIO 3 smaall.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 102
  • PIO 4.png
    PIO 4.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 102
  • PIO 5.png
    PIO 5.png
    260.5 KB · Views: 96
  • pio 6.png
    pio 6.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 107
  • PIO 9.png
    PIO 9.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 115
  • PIO 8.png
    PIO 8.png
    262.3 KB · Views: 107
  • pio 7.png
    pio 7.png
    138 KB · Views: 101
  • PIO! small.png
    PIO! small.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 102
Having seen the stripped chipboards of several tables of this era, I would start from making or ordering a new plinth from (at least) voidless Baltic birch, if your budget permits. I understand the aesthetic reasons to veneer the plinth but if I was getting into trouble to take the table apart I would do it right, IMO.
 
I thought of that but it would require a bench router and woodworking skills to replicate the plinth in solid wood. Using the Pioneer plinth as a template. Thick stock too.




Steve,
 
I have a Pioneer PL-518 that I have long wanted to veneer the plinth with something other than the original sterile gray. I don't really want to take it out of commission long or goof it up. I was thinking about buying another plinth, veneer it, then transfer the works, PL-518 plinths don't come up often and they want more than i would be willing to pay.
My question relates to whether any other Pioneer plinth has the same dimensions, cut out as the PL-518?
I do see 514s and 516s come up for a more reasonable price.


My question relates to whether any other Pioneer plinth has the same dimensions, cut out as the PL-518?
 
The 514 and 516 are near identical. Here are my pics of both plinths stripped


Steve
 

Attachments

  • Pl-518 Wood veneer complete  SMALL.jpg
    Pl-518 Wood veneer complete SMALL.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 22
  • PL-514 wood vener complete.png
    PL-514 wood vener complete.png
    138 KB · Views: 19
BTW.....Remember the 514 is a belt drive turntable and the 518 is Direct Drive as is the 516. Which I believe the 516 would have exact same measurements as the 518.

Steve,
 
BTW.....Remember the 514 is a belt drive turntable and the 518 is Direct Drive as is the 516. Which I believe the 516 would have exact same measurements as the 518.

Steve,
I have a 516, it is a belt drive, as are the 512 and 514,
 
OK I did the 514 and 518...SO I was sure that the 514 is Belt and 518 is DD..... I wasnt sure about the 516....I figured it was DD. I think the 516 has the same tone arm as the 518 but not the same as 514??? OR there isnt any real difference between the 514 and 516. Platters are different too between the 514 and 516?

So I think the 514 and 516 would have the same plinth outline cutout BUT the 518 is different since I showed that in above pics. DID you see the pics. of the 514 and 518 plinth???????



Steve,
 
TO be honest I found both plinths 514 AND 518 to be very similar to do. IT wasnt very hard and I just did another 518 for my son last month. so I have reveneered two 518's and one 514.

I recommend you take your time and have the following tools:

-heat gun [to remove vinyl from plinth]
-putty knife to scrape off the vinyl contact paper
-sandpaper various grades 100, 220 and fine
-Shellac [to seal the plinth once it has been sanded down ]
-Veneer [I found 3m self stick really good and it comes in many finishes of woods]
-Gloss or Satin finish to seal the veneer once it has been put on the plinth [Shellac or polyurethane]

EXTRAS:
-New Sorbathane feet
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304416867855?hash=item46e0a8c60f:g:VQ0AAOSwqu9VPBgD

-New Rub on lettering FACTORY:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283431088316?hash=item41fdcf30bc:g:P-EAAOSwXBJhlWDw

-New dust cover if you need it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/181959130879?hash=item2a5d9bfeff:g:E8wAAOSw5ixh7Ioj


Then your TT will look brand new!




Steve,
 
TO be honest I found both plinths 514 AND 518 to be very similar to do. IT wasnt very hard and I just did another 518 for my son last month. so I have reveneered two 518's and one 514.

I recommend you take your time and have the following tools:

-heat gun [to remove vinyl from plinth]
-putty knife to scrape off the vinyl contact paper
-sandpaper various grades 100, 220 and fine
-Shellac [to seal the plinth once it has been sanded down ]
-Veneer [I found 3m self stick really good and it comes in many finishes of woods]
-Gloss or Satin finish to seal the veneer once it has been put on the plinth [Shellac or polyurethane]

EXTRAS:
-New Sorbathane feet
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304416867855?hash=item46e0a8c60f:g:VQ0AAOSwqu9VPBgD

-New Rub on lettering FACTORY:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283431088316?hash=item41fdcf30bc:g:P-EAAOSwXBJhlWDw

-New dust cover if you need it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/181959130879?hash=item2a5d9bfeff:g:E8wAAOSw5ixh7Ioj


Then your TT will look brand new!




Steve,
The feet are in amazing shape, the dust cover in about 90% with no cracks...the lettering would come in handy.
I've done woodworking for over 40 years but I am always a bit hesitant when working on something that is personally important to me.
Eventually, I 'll get to it.
It would just be nice to have a backup or a template/
 
The feet are in amazing shape, the dust cover in about 90% with no cracks...the lettering would come in handy.
I've done woodworking for over 40 years but I am always a bit hesitant when working on something that is personally important to me.
Eventually, I 'll get to it.
It would just be nice to have a backup or a template/
Hey there! Any updates on this?
 
Back
Top Bottom