• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-520

scottyh777

Super Member
Bought this for $50.I have 4 other TT and don't really need it but could not restrain myself.Seems like a good buy.Near mint.No cartridge (ok as I have 15 of them here).I have a PL-570 (wood) that I love.What says you on the Pioneer Pl-520.It's being shipped and should arrive shortly.
 

Attachments

  • !Bd5Lhhw!Wk~$(KGrHqYH-EYErgrf8uyKBK6-Z7(,DQ~~_12.jpg
    !Bd5Lhhw!Wk~$(KGrHqYH-EYErgrf8uyKBK6-Z7(,DQ~~_12.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 81
Register to hide this ad
I've owned several Pioneers (516, 530, 540, 570) and liked them all. The 520 is kind of a rare bird with the weird tonearm weight. I don't think it sold very well because of that, but it's probably a decent TT. The arm looks like the 540, 560, except for the weight arrangement. I'd be interested in how you rate it.

Jon
 
I've owned several Pioneers (516, 530, 540, 570) and liked them all. The 520 is kind of a rare bird with the weird tonearm weight. I don't think it sold very well because of that, but it's probably a decent TT. The arm looks like the 540, 560, except for the weight arrangement. I'd be interested in how you rate it.

Jon

Yes, I have owned the 540/560/570/550/71 as well.I currently have the 570.
Im curious about the 520 and have been for awhile.
 
I forgot the 550, I had one of those as well. The 550 and 570 are both really nice vintage Pioneers. I still have the 570, recovered in walnut veneer. I prefer the wood based over the silver based. I recovered the 516 and 540 I had with wood veneer. They looked much better that way, IMHO. Some of the Pioneers were available in silver, black, or wood.

Jon
 
I forgot the 550, I had one of those as well. The 550 and 570 are both really nice vintage Pioneers. I still have the 570, recovered in walnut veneer. I prefer the wood based over the silver based. I recovered the 516 and 540 I had with wood veneer. They looked much better that way, IMHO. Some of the Pioneers were available in silver, black, or wood.

Jon

I have the walnut as well on my 570.There is a rare PL-570X that is black and looks very cool.My 570 is is great condition and preforms well.It's a very solid/well built TT.I saw a 570 sell on ebay the other day for $600 plus $$$.It's tempting to sell but I just can't.Can't wait to hear what the 520 sounds like.I really regret selling my mintish 560 last year with the meters.But I bought it for $100 and flipped it for $330.Still, I do regret selling it.
 
I saw that 570 that sold for $610. I think that was a fluke. Two newbies bidding against each other drove the price up. Those types are never around when I have anything for sale. Typical Ebay prices for 570s is more like $250-$450 depending on condition. I've seen one PL-570X and I agree, very cool! Report back on the 520 when you get a chance to try it.

Jon
 
I saw that 570 that sold for $610. I think that was a fluke. Two newbies bidding against each other drove the price up. Those types are never around when I have anything for sale. Typical Ebay prices for 570s is more like $250-$450 depending on condition. I've seen one PL-570X and I agree, very cool! Report back on the 520 when you get a chance to try it.

Jon

Yes, I agree.That must have been a fluke.If I sold mine tommoro I would no doubt get $250 although it is in the same condition as the one that sold for $610.That was just silly.
 
Functionally the 520 fits right in between the 518 and 540, and it's the same styling of that line, but it was sort of a test pilot model that was a little radical and they decided not to continue the design. But it is solid and should perform well.
 
I've owned a couple of 520's, one of them for close to 30 years. Never gave me a moment's trouble. They have a separate motor that runs the tonearm so asymmetrical loading of the main motor never takes place. They are quiet and smooth in operation too.

John
 
I've owned a couple of 520's, one of them for close to 30 years. Never gave me a moment's trouble. They have a separate motor that runs the tonearm so asymmetrical loading of the main motor never takes place. They are quiet and smooth in operation too.

John

Im liking the controls in front.Can't wait to give it a spin and see how it compares to my other DD TT's.
 
Back
Top Bottom