• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Pioneer PL-55DX arm won't return to rest.

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just picked up a Pioneer PL-55DX with original box & assy. and fairly clean ,but has been setting up for a while. I de-oxed the pots & managed to zero in the speed. But the arm will not return to the test, makes to just outside the album /platter edge. SM only mentions to oil or replace the 1 & 2 plate. Is the no way top adjust the arm return?
 
Register to hide this ad
Don't think this was correct way to adjust the return. Now it slams the arm fast to the rest. I tried backing it off a little, then it would not make it to the rest. Help.
 
I used to have one of those tables. IIRC, mine treated the arm pretty rough. The mechanism made a loud, "CHUNK" at the end of a side and then slammed the arm back into the rest.

Never found a solution before I moved it along. I figured it was just an unrefined return mechanism and left it at that. World of difference between it and my Dual 1019. The Dual is gentle as can be.

Good luck with yours.
 
Mine does return hard adusted as it is. But there are video on youtube that the arm returns slowly as it should.
 
One thread a AKer mentioned there was silicon grease thick as honey under the plate that covers the rotator plate. So I pulled the cover nad the it was covered with what looks to be very thick silicon grease. I tried to thin it and adjust the speed spring. When I tried it the arm would not return at all. So I recovered the wheel and inside the plate with 30K grease I had. Now I'm back where I started. Though fast, the arm will return.

IMG_8093.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom