• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-61 vs. PL-518

DavidinNC

Active Member
Hello,

I have a friend who works on and restores nice turntables. He has restored a PL-518 and is in the process of restoring a PL-61. Which would be preferred? I’ve little knowledge of Pioneer turntables other than what I read, so thought I would seek some opinions.
 
Register to hide this ad
The PL518 has better specs on paper, lower wow and flutter and rumble.. But the PL61 if it is with the wood base is like way nicer. I am wondering if the 55 vs 72 dB rumble difference is due to different measurement specs/weighing factor.
 
PL 61, beautiful and classy... elegant... for me it would be the only choice between the two. Also, forever serviceable.
 
The PL518 has better specs on paper, lower wow and flutter and rumble.. But the PL61 if it is with the wood base is like way nicer. I am wondering if the 55 vs 72 dB rumble difference is due to different measurement specs/weighing factor.
I am thinking the listing for the PL-518 is listed as DIN B and I believe the spec for the PL-61 is DIN A
 
61 near totl but earlier
518 just over botl and later so that leads to better specs. I don't know how much of that spec difference is a change in the spec determination.

61 all day long, every day, period.
 
Back
Top Bottom