• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-61 vs Sansui FR-4060

liemjerry

Well-Known Member
Hi Friends

I want to asking comparison between :
- Pioneer PL-61
- Sansui FR-4060

Which better in :
- sound quality
- mechanical quality
- if Sansui FR-4060 is Automatic, what about Pioneer PL-61 ? Is it manual(fully manual) ?
- Which have more accesories and support is easier on maintennace ?


Thank you
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a PL-50(semi-auto) and had an FR-4060 at one time. The auto function was much better on the Sansui if auto is important to you. SQ was very similar for both. Both had pretty heavy arms and like low compliance carts. I kept the Pioneer just because I liked the look better and it was a match for the rest if the Pioneer stuff I had. Dont really use it any more as it cant keep up with the Sota Star/SME combo but it isnt a bad table.
 
I have a PL-50(semi-auto) and had an FR-4060 at one time. The auto function was much better on the Sansui if auto is important to you. SQ was very similar for both. Both had pretty heavy arms and like low compliance carts. I kept the Pioneer just because I liked the look better and it was a match for the rest if the Pioneer stuff I had. Dont really use it any more as it cant keep up with the Sota Star/SME combo but it isnt a bad table.

PL-50 looks rather same form design with PL-61, but I don't know wheter PL-61 is semi auto or full manual?
 
Hi Friends

I want to asking comparison between :
- Pioneer PL-61
- Sansui FR-4060

Which better in :
- sound quality
- mechanical quality
- if Sansui FR-4060 is Automatic, what about Pioneer PL-61 ? Is it manual(fully manual) ?
- Which have more accesories and support is easier on maintennace ?


Thank you
I have them both.
The Pl-61 was my first tt, and it holds a special spot in my heart. It is manual and magnificent! There is an anti-skating issue that can develop on some, although mine has worked perfect for 25+ years.

The 4060 is Automatic and a workhorse, I've owned it for about 10 years and never had an issue either...

I prefer the pioneer when I have time to babysit the needle, and the other when I want to walk away...

The Hall motor and the two finger lift/lower mechanism on the PL-61 is what I love... I love this pio so much, I have two more in storage in case I need parts...
 
I have them both.
The Pl-61 was my first tt, and it holds a special spot in my heart. It is manual and magnificent! There is an anti-skating issue that can develop on some, although mine has worked perfect for 25+ years.

The 4060 is Automatic and a workhorse, I've owned it for about 10 years and never had an issue either...

I prefer the pioneer when I have time to babysit the needle, and the other when I want to walk away...

The Hall motor and the two finger lift/lower mechanism on the PL-61 is what I love... I love this pio so much, I have two more in storage in case I need parts...

on your explanation It seems you have enjoyed so much with PL-61 although FR-4060 is not bad either..
about sound quality and quietness, which one you prefer? For everyday use, long time use, which one you prefer to choose?
thank you
 
Well the Pioneer is 5 db quieter with about the same W&F. Compared to other turntables from the period I would keep looking. Thorens are better, Revox better, and Empire is much better even the little Ar-XA is better with less rumble and lower W&F. I'd be looking for a slightly used SL 1200 my self. I know Technics has a bad rap sometimes, but on the whole they perform well under tough conditions.
 
on your explanation It seems you have enjoyed so much with PL-61 although FR-4060 is not bad either..
about sound quality and quietness, which one you prefer? For everyday use, long time use, which one you prefer to choose?
thank you

Between the two, the PL-61.

Well the Pioneer is 5 db quieter with about the same W&F. Compared to other turntables from the period I would keep looking. Thorens are better, Revox better, and Empire is much better even the little Ar-XA is better with less rumble and lower W&F. I'd be looking for a slightly used SL 1200 my self. I know Technics has a bad rap sometimes, but on the whole they perform well under tough conditions.

I also have an Empire 598, two ARxa, a Thorens, and two SL1200s.... and many others.
It is true that there is a mountain of better tts out there, but to @liemjerry , the Pio and Sui tables are great starter decks. If you are going to pay north of 3 hundo, then just get an excellent condition used Technics SL-1200, you won't regret it.
 
Back
Top Bottom