• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-720 Turntable

REDone

Super Member
Does anyone have any info at all on this Turntable?
Metal Chassis Direct Drive & The arm looks interesting & good quality similar to a PL 430 but I cannot find info on that one either
Approx Year ? Pitfalls ? Set Up? etc

Any info or leads gratefully received

Many thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Many Thanks

I don't know how I missed that

it seems I was right the PL720 relates to the PL430 (& also the PL7) unfortunately no written blurb or photos yet

Wonderful work by Dr Strangeglove my thanks
 
From a 1982 German catalog, the PL-720:

Doc

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • pl-720.jpg
    pl-720.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 669
PL 720 Turntable arrived .. Doesn't work
Quarz light glows when plugged in but Start / Stop switch doesn't function / Arm starts its automatic function when the platter is spun by hand but disc selection looks stuck on 45 7" disc size

Any Advice very gratefully received

Many thanks
 
The only thing I can think of is to spray deoxit on the controls and pray. My understanding is that these were difficult to open and work on. The turntable is the same as the PL-7, which is the model designation more familiar to members here. My suggestion is to repost the thread with PL-7 in the title and you should receive more response. I believe Ozmoid is knowledgeable regarding these.

What did the seller state regarding the turntable's operating condition? Was this an ebay purchase? Or thrift shop?
 
Thanks for the advice I will repost question

P7 looks identical & same specification

Haven't even figured how to open it up yet
 
i need some help, please.

hi, i'm triyn to choose the right cartridge for a Pioneer PL-720 turntable.

the tonearm is a straight polymer-graphite low mass one with standard mount. (same as PL-7 and other pioneer TT's)

has anyone an idea about the effective mass of this kind of tonearm?

do high-compliance (20 to 25) cartridges fit well with it?

i have a shure M92E and i guess this is a cartridge that works in that range, or not? :scratch2:

unfortunately neither pioneer nor shure give those technical numbers... :no:

thanks in advance, vinz :D

EDIT: and between Audio Technica AT-110E and Shure M97xE which one should have the best compliance/compatibility for PL-720 TT?

thanks again :D
 
According to my Pioneer Spec Bible, the recommended cartridge was a Pioneer Model PC-3MC Moving Coil. The specs were:

.50mil Diamond stylus, 2.5mV output, no dynamic or static compliance is listed, 1.7 - 2.3g tracking force (2 g preferred), 10Hz-32kHz Freq response, 50 load impedance,
weight 3.1g.

Maybe you can use this info for a comparison. Good Luck!
 
thank you, JJJimmy :D

on cartridgedb.com i found for PC-3MC these numbers:

Dynamic Compliance
10 x 10-6 cm/Dyne

Static Compliance
15 x 10-6 cm/Dyne

and if it's correct it seems that this cartridge has a low compliance...

...but it's a bit strange that a tonearm named "low mass high tracking ability" is factory mounted with a low compliance cartridge... :scratch2:

so, if i want to mount an MM cartridge should i choose an high compliance one because of the "low mass" tonearm or not? :scratch2:

who knows if here there is someone using a similar Pioneer turntable... :smoke:
 
Looks like the same tone arm as my PL-707 - very nice...

The 707 I have was sitting for a little while so it started slow and the arm didn't work properly .... I prayed and play some more LPs and it got back to normal. My unit was not shipped. Me thinks shipping turntables without original package is a 50/50 shot you get it in playable condition. That in my experience. I'm keeping local and patient for TTs.

Good luck,

Bob
 
problem solved.

problem solved.

this PL-720 surely has a low-mass tonearm, so the ShureM97xE should be right. (and i think it could be used also without its stabilizer brush if the tonearm has an effective mass below 10gr.)

but i found also a direct way to measure the tonearm mass...

...it's sufficient to weigh the tonearm without the counterweight and so we can have a good idea about the effective mass...
...look at this link. ;)
http://www.speakerbits.com/speaker-repairs/about-cartridges-choice-of-cartridge/article-26.aspx

now, with a bit of patience and care i can tweak the right thing! :D
 
I've got the same tone arm on my PL-707 - a replacement was suggested on one of the cartridge websites and it was in fact the M97xE - they are on sale right now at Amazon for $55 free ship. Best price I've seen and I've been looking ... thanks to other Akers whom posted that in another post..

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006I5SB

Cheers,

Bob
 
Back
Top Bottom