• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL L800 Linear Tracking Turntable

oldstufftoo

New Member
I purchased the Pioneer PL L800 new in 1971. Still works great and sounds great. But, I recently discovered that I have lost my users manual when I needed it the most. Imagine that!

My problem is that the tone arm travels in too far before lowering the stylus to the record. It misses 1/4 of the first song. I have corrected this before - a long time ago. I don't recall now how to do it.

Does anyone know:

a) where I might find a manual for the PL L800 OR
b) how to adjust the tone arm for this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Jim
 
Register to hide this ad
Here you go. I also own one that I purchased new. Hopefully this is readable for you. I don't have a scanner so just took a picture...

Brad

IMG_1090.jpg
 
Brad,

I appreciate your offer to help but the link isn't any good. No image display and no html link.

Please try again. Thanks
 
That was perfect! Thank you so much for taking the time to do that for me.

I printed it off for future reference. My manual disappeared during one of our moves and I wasn't aware until I started looking for it recently.

Have a great Christmas and again, thanks!
 
OK, Matt. I'm back again!

As I read the simple instructions you provided, it all seemed to come back to me, "Yes, I remember doing that!". So, I set about making the adjustment following the instructions.

After I removed the rubber plug, I slid the tone arm over to my left so that I could see the adjustment screw below. I turned the adjustment screw counterclockwise. I depressed play and found that I had "lowered" the tone arm heighth rather than adjust the "in or out" of it. I wasn't expecting that change.

I reset everything and my tone arm height, again, is correct.

Am I adjusting the wrong screw? I slide the tone arm slowly to my left until the stylus was about midway of the record. The adjustment screw I saw through the hole is on the right side (as I look at my turn table) of the tone arm. I saw no other one. There were some diagrams and additional notes to the right of the instructions you provided. I wonder if the info I am missing is located there? Of course, I could be making something so simple, difficult.

Thanks again, Jim.
 
There are no other instructions in the manual beyond what I posted. I assume that you scrolled over to the right so you could see the included diagram in the picture i posted? It looks to me like the adjustment is made with the tonearm in the park position if the diagram is correct. I don't know why that would make any difference but maybe worth a try. I never had to adjust mine so I'm just going by what the instructions say.

Brad
 
Brad....

I had a brain burp - I apologize! Where did Matt come from???? Too much Christmas shopping for me.

Ahhh.....I did scroll right (after your last note). Duh! I am embarrassed.

You have been a great help while I have been busy hitting on 6 of 8 cylinders - at best!

Jim
 
Pioneer Pl-l800

I purchased the Pioneer PL L800 new in 1971. Still works great and sounds great. But, I recently discovered that I have lost my users manual when I needed it the most. Imagine that!

My problem is that the tone arm travels in too far before lowering the stylus to the record. It misses 1/4 of the first song. I have corrected this before - a long time ago. I don't recall now how to do it.

Does anyone know:

a) where I might find a manual for the PL L800 OR
b) how to adjust the tone arm for this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Jim

How could you get this turntable in 1971 when it came out in 1981? Look at this website and see for your self.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/PLL800/PLL800.html
 
Thread necromancy... the best necromancy there is! :thmbsp:
Hey, this gives an excuse to use THIS emoticon!: :smsex:
Long live dead threads!
:D
 
Vinyl Engine has the manuals for your TT

I purchased the Pioneer PL L800 new in 1971. Still works great and sounds great. But, I recently discovered that I have lost my users manual when I needed it the most. Imagine that!

My problem is that the tone arm travels in too far before lowering the stylus to the record. It misses 1/4 of the first song. I have corrected this before - a long time ago. I don't recall now how to do it.

Does anyone know:

a) where I might find a manual for the PL L800 OR
b) how to adjust the tone arm for this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Jim

The Owner's Manual and the Service Manual for the Pioneer PL-800 are available in PDF form for free at the Vinyl Engine site http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-l800.shtml
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom