• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer pl550 turntable

Mark Madonna

New Member
I have read a lot of posts about both the technics sl1200 and the pioneer pl550 tables. I have two Kuzma tables with matching arms so they are naturally my reference. In my opinion the pl550 sounds better than a new sl1200gr. I have made a few subtle changes in the 550. I changed the RCA ends to Cardas. I also changed the small pieces of wire that run from tonearm to tonearm wire internally. I think it's the pioneer arm. It looks much more substantial than the technics arm. The pioneer sounds richer overall.
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome.
I think the PL 550 looks great.
I almost bought one for use as my mono turntable but ended up with a Denon DP59 L (which also looks great).
 
Back
Top Bottom