• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer QX-646 VS Yamaha Natural Sound CR-420

budsthe3

Active Member
I currently have a Yamaha Natural Sound CR-420, and have been wanting to pick up a Pioneer QX-646 to replicate the setup that my father had with his turntable and graphic EQ. (I was given his turntable and graphic EQ that he still had)
My father threw out his Pioneer QX-646 that he had with his turntable and graphic EQ about 15 years ago because it broke, and I was not into vintage audio at the time to take it from him.
Now I really like the sound of the Yamaha CR-420, but am wondering which receiver would have a better reputation of sounding better. (I know sound usually depends on personal taste). My turntable and graphic EQ that is being used are: Pioneer PL-12D, and JVC S.E.A. 20-GL EQ.
Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Yamahas are beloved around AK, but not my personal dish of tea on receivers. I love Pioneer receivers pre 1980, but love the SX 1010 best. Your QX 646 is very nice, though my favorite Quad receivers are upper tier Sansuis.
 
Yamahas are beloved around AK, but not my personal dish of tea on receivers. I love Pioneer receivers pre 1980, but love the SX 1010 best. Your QX 646 is very nice, though my favorite Quad receivers are upper tier Sansuis.



Thanks for the reply. I am still on the fence about swapping them because I really like the sound of my Yamaha, and have yet to experiment with the QX-646. Worse case scenario, I will just have both, and switch them up every now and then haha :music:
 
I actually picked up a "little" QX646 a few weekends ago, and it's waiting for me to deoxit. Turns on just fine. I think it will sound very sweet. I really liked my time with a 949A before it died.
 
I had a 420 at one time and I'll take the 420 over any of the equivalent Pioneers.Not as much punch but to me a better sounding unit.
 
I have the 646's big brother, a QX-949 that I have set up as a surround system when playing surround DVD's, usually concerts. My Denon DVD 2900 has all of the rca outputs so I run the fronts to the front tape in and surround to the rear tape in's on the 949 and the center I drive separately with an Onkyo A-5 integrated amp. I have a Denon HT Surround Receiver rated at twice the output power of the QX-949. The QX blows out the Denon and the QX is my preference at least for now. The Denon is a bit more crisp but does not have near the depth and bass of the Pioneer. Probably is why most most Surround receivers today really need a powered sub. Had my 949 recently serviced and the tech said that the power supplies in most modern receivers are "not what they used to be"
 
Back
Top Bottom