• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer RT-707 auto-stop issue

anti-doom

Well-Known Member
Hi all,

Been looking on AK for same problem but I could not find it. My Pioneer R2R RT-707 has auto shut off issue when tape ends. The taoe keeps spinning until I hit STOP button. I have swapped the switch relay from my working RT-701 but problem is still there. Turn out the switch is OK. Can anyone give me an idea how to fix it?

Another problem is that the RT-707 was working fine before (except auto stop issue). Now the VU meters are dead, I mean no light, needle no moving at all. And the volume sound drops significantly, I would say 80% compared to before.

Any help would be appreciate.

Thanks a lot.
 
Register to hide this ad
There is a metal bar that's always in contact with the tape. When the tape ends the bar drops, This is Auto Stop.
Is the bar dropping?
 
Just fixed the VU meter and sound problem. The Fuse on bottom was blown which caused the VU meter dead and sound drops significantly. Now it is back to business again but still have the auto stop issue.

BTW, the fuse with red mark (the far left) is the one blown
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 50
What was the problem?:dunno:

Problem 1- VU meter dead and sound drop 80% --> the fuse was blown. replaced it and the VU meter is back on.

Problem 2 - On the Switch board where PLAY, STOP, REC, FFW, REW switches are placed, there is a small solenoid on the board (Look from the back you will see it). That solenoid was stuck due to sticky grease. Spray and put some grease it then when the auto shut-off lever drop when the tape ends, that solenoid will kick the brake to stop the reel from spinning. Look at the attached picture red arrow is where you put grease/spray.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 187
Anti-doom

You rock!:banana:

Same problem here with the shut off sensor...saved me much potential aggravation!

Very cool! :thmbsp:

Martin
 
My new to me 707 was having the same issue with the auto stop. I could hear the micro switch clicking and couldn’t understand why it wasn’t working, and in my mind it was a bad switch. Luckily I found this thread in a search and you saved me a hell of a headache. Thanks!!
 
Back
Top Bottom