• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SA-1050 receiver and TX-950 Tuner worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystery

constantly upgrading...
I have SA-1040 and TX-940 doing their duty in bedroom and eying another receiver SA-1050 and may be TX-950 tuner along with it but don't have much use of the tuner. I can use the receiver for my computer. The set is for $40 or receiver only little bit less.
Are they worth it or should I pass?
Also, why are Pioneer SA series receivers (eg. SA-1040, SA-1050 etc...) so much cheaper than the SX series (eg. SX-1050) with similar power rating?:scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
The mystery is what you are talking about. Mixed numbers on the title and opening line make us think you may have typed this post with your eyes closed.

The SX is a receiver
The SA is an integrated amp
The TX is a tuner

TX+SA=SX as far as function goes because the receiver has an integrated amp and tuner in one chassis.

They are cheaper because they are later units that are not as sought after as the earlier SX receivers from the 70s.
 
The mystery is what you are talking about. Mixed numbers on the title and opening line make us think you may have typed this post with your eyes closed.

The SX is a receiver
The SA is an integrated amp
The TX is a tuner

TX+SA=SX as far as function goes because the receiver has an integrated amp and tuner in one chassis.

They are cheaper because they are later units that are not as sought after as the earlier SX receivers from the 70s.

Hmm... I was just giving information on what I currently have and the amp I'm looking at is something similar.
May be that was not clear.
Anyways, I'm looking at a set of SA-1050 and TX-950 (tuner is not needed but may get as a set with the SA-1050). I am still not decided and doing some reading.

Thanks for explaining the SA vs SX thingy.
For home audio, I generalize integrated amp and receiver together.
I am used to 'Amplifier' term only for PA applications.

The SX-1050 (120wpc) goes for 10 x more than a SA-1050(100wpc).
The sought after factor really drives price. :scratch2:
But how about the performance of SA vs SX?
Is SA-1050 considered good amp?
 
For home audio, I generalize integrated amp and receiver together.
I am used to 'Amplifier' term only for PA applications.


I guess I needed more tea because reading your OP again it makes more sense.

Please don't generalize because it makes us think you don't know the difference. There is a big difference between an amp (integrated, power or pre) and a receiver.

Let's go one step further on the integrated amp thing since you picked up the SA-SX thing so well. (oh SA-SX= -TX)

The integrated amp has two components in it, a preamp and a power amp. The preamp is all the controls the power amp is the watts per channel. This is a simplification but generally true. Look at the Crown IC-150a and D-150a for the preamp and power amp idea.

As for the SX-1050 vs the SA-1050, the SA-1050 is a later unit and as the yen was gaining strength against the dollar and the audio companies were developing their BPC systems (all the gear in a vinyl-clad, glass-front cabinet with a pair of matching speaker the same size) the overbuilt quality of the units was severely cut. Transformers were trimmed in size, integrated circuits (chips) were replacing discrete components (resistors, capacitors, and transistors) and the units became harder to maintain years later.

Being able to repair a unit has a lot to do with its desirability for this old gear. There are those that buy based on the weight of the unit. Heavy is good.
 
I guess I needed more tea because reading your OP again it makes more sense.

The integrated amp has two components in it, a preamp and a power amp. The preamp is all the controls the power amp is the watts per channel. This is a simplification but generally true. Look at the Crown IC-150a and D-150a for the preamp and power amp idea.

Hmm... I checked the Crown IC-150a and D-150a.
That preamp has tone controls as well as volume. The amplifier is just like a PA amplifier only with gain controls.
In an integrated receiver like my SA-1040, there is no gain controls. So I guess the volume itself acts as both volume and gain controls?

As for the original topic, I went ahead and got the SA-1050 + TX950. Both are in great condition and everything works smoothly. No static when increasing/decreasing volume. They make my Polk S8's sing very nicely. :music:
I could not find any differences in the specs of SA-1040 and SA-1050. Both are 100wpc.
 
I guess I needed more tea because reading your OP again it makes more sense.

Please don't generalize because it makes us think you don't know the difference. There is a big difference between an amp (integrated, power or pre) and a receiver.

Let's go one step further on the integrated amp thing since you picked up the SA-SX thing so well. (oh SA-SX= -TX)

The integrated amp has two components in it, a preamp and a power amp. The preamp is all the controls the power amp is the watts per channel. This is a simplification but generally true. Look at the Crown IC-150a and D-150a for the preamp and power amp idea.

As for the SX-1050 vs the SA-1050, the SA-1050 is a later unit and as the yen was gaining strength against the dollar and the audio companies were developing their BPC systems (all the gear in a vinyl-clad, glass-front cabinet with a pair of matching speaker the same size) the overbuilt quality of the units was severely cut. Transformers were trimmed in size, integrated circuits (chips) were replacing discrete components (resistors, capacitors, and transistors) and the units became harder to maintain years later.

Being able to repair a unit has a lot to do with its desirability for this old gear. There are those that buy based on the weight of the unit. Heavy is good.
YUP, I love it! some of my receivers weigh in at 35 to 42 lbs, The SX950 I bought has an actual glass for the tuning dial. For those whose receiver has
the glass window there is a guy Tom at eBay who makes or has the glass replacements SanDiego Solidstate. Funny, well not really but the thought the
glass for my SX950 might be cracked entered my skull and when I got the receiver, it was cracked...anyway I found the part at eBay and ordered it. My
tech guy put it in as well as cleaned all toggles and pots (potentiometers and/or rheostats. lamps, indicator lights noisy transistors. So She is in very
good condition.
 
I have SA-1040 and TX-940 doing their duty in bedroom and eying another receiver SA-1050 and may be TX-950 tuner along with it but don't have much use of the tuner. I can use the receiver for my computer. The set is for $40 or receiver only little bit less.
Are they worth it or should I pass?
Also, why are Pioneer SA series receivers (eg. SA-1040, SA-1050 etc...) so much cheaper than the SX series (eg. SX-1050) with similar power rating?:scratch2:
Really? What do you think for $40?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom