• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SA-9800 vs. SA-8800

xoaphexox said:
I have the original manual and brochure for my SA-8800 and right on the front it says "Non-Switching Amp" underneath the "SA-8800".

I guess the Buyer's Guide I had it wrong. The non-switching amp is a great feature.
 
I've been on an amp buying spree lately. I recently got a Kenwood KA-9100 (90x2) from another AK Member and am very impressed with it. Also picked up a couple of NAD 2600s and a Lux M-117. I've also got a Pioneer A-80 (150x2) and am working on getting a Pioneer A-90 (200x2). However, I thought it would be fun to get a couple of the lower powered, older Pioneer integrated amps with the Fluroscan Meters to toss into the mix. And, maybe and SA-9500 as well.

At the moment, I have a chance to pick up a Pioneer SA-9800 and SA-8800 locally. The SA-9800 will cost about $100.00 more than the SA-8800. My instinct is just to get the SA-9800 since the overall build quality is dramatically better. (see photo).

I've also noticed that the SA-8800s go cheap, for around $100-$140 on E-Prey, whereas the SA-9800s go for substantially more.

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=so&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=Pioneer+SA-8800&sacat=-1&catref=C6&sargn=-1&saslc=2&sadis=200&fpos=91367&fis=2&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

Even though the SA-8800 is only rated for 80 watts, even less than my KA-9100, I'm debating whether or not to get it in addition to the SA-9800, which I most certainly want, since it is in "near mint" condition.

I've heard SA-9800s before, and, while not the greatest, they are certainly satisfying to listen to. However, I have no recent listening experience with the SA-8800 and am wondering how close it comes to the SA-9800 in overall sound quality. If it's close, I'll consider it. Otherwise, I'll pass since what I'd paying and what I could sell it for on E-Prey if I don't care for it are about the same.

According to my 1980 Audio Buyer's Guide, the SA-9800 was 100 wpc and the SA-8800 was 80 wpc. MSRP for the 9800 was $750 and the 8800 was $550. The 9800 had Pioneer's new at the time "non-switching" circuitry whereas the 8800 did not. Although the 9800 is only 20 wpc more than the 8800, it looks likes it in a whole 'nother league.

Any thoughts?
any idea how much a technics SA 3500 would sell for nowadays?
 
yes


https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa5210-pioneer-sa-8800-solid-state

This 8800 is on AG ATM but according to this old thread very much overpriced.
Always wanted an 8800 or 9800 though so it's tempting.
Prices on some items have appreciated lately.

Fortunately this one's in Calif so less tempting...to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom