• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SA-9900 Restore-recap

ThaiBerra

Member
Hello!
As part of the payment for an Marantz 2270 I'm buying from a friend I have promised him to do a restoration of a his Pioneer SA-9900 (boy do I want that amplifier myself). I will do a full recap and also replace all recommended semiconductors to restore the SA-9900 to it's original full glory.
I have searched a lot here on AK but have not managed to find any complete list of the needed components. It would save me a lot of time if someone have some kind of list (would love a Mouser list) that I could use as a start.

Hope that someone could help me out!
 
Register to hide this ad
It doesn't yet exist. You could use these threads as a guide for format and substitutions.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=457663

Pay particular attention to the SA-9500. It is the 9900's smaller brother.

Then when you think you have it, post it here so I can go through it to check the substitutions. Start with the SA-9900 service manual.
 
Thank you Mark!

Hello Mark!

Thank's for your reply.

I was hoping that one of you experts in this forum would reply to my request for help.
It feels a lot better to start this project knowing that there are forumfriends willing to lend a guiding hand if needed.

This fall and winter will really be very interesting (at least I hope so) because now I have 4 full recap/restore projects to take care of.
The SA-9900 are first out on the workbench together with my own SX-1250 for which I already have received all the components except
for the four large filtercaps (still looking for a good source for them).

I will start this weekend to put together a list for the SA-9900 in the same format that I have seen that you have posted
(I used your list when I ordered the components for the SX-1250 from Mouser).

Regards
Bernt

PS!
The interest for vintage HiFi from the 70's seems to be rapidly increasing here in Sweden.
More and more people are discovering that the quality in both construction and sound are just awesome.
DS!
 
Caps for SX-1250

Hi Mark!

I'm soon ready with the component list for the SA-9900 project.
Just got a question for you (or anyone else) about the filter caps for my SX-1250.
Will this be ok?
CDE 80V 35000uF Computer Grade Bus Capacitor
They are a lot cheaper than,
ADCOM 100V 22000uF Computer Grade Low ESR Capacitor

Regards
Bernt
 
parts number? from where?

physical sizes? (that's important)

1250 has soft start circuit, so the extra capacitance won't hurt.

80v on the original, (22000uf 80v) so no problem there...

from my notes:
sx-1250 ach-056 22000 80 4 original 64mm 2.5" 118mm 4.625"

ah hah:

the eBay "jea capacitors" caps are 2.5 x 4.625, so they are a mechanical fit.. nice spotting!!
 
Last edited:
When you guys post and finalize the SA-9900 list I'll add it to my Recap list post!

A list probably hasn't been done before as it seems to be a "Japan only" unit. Is it rated to use 100V AC input current?
 
Restore help

I have been working extra hours for over a week now so when I'm back home from work I'm not that much interested
in recap/restore lists, I just want to have a close encounter with my pillow as soon as possible.
Will try to finish the list this coming weekend (nothing else planned yet but my wife could have plans still secret to me).

Mark - or anyone with good knowledge - I need advice about the work I'm about to start on my own precious SX-1250.

As it is in perfect cosmetic status I also want it to be in the best possible working/sounding condition.
I will do a full recap but I'm unsure about how many of the active components/semiconductors I'm should replace.
I have already created an account with Mouser and made a complete BOM list with all caps and active Components
(also including the relays and variable resistors) but it feels a little bit like overkill.
I don't want to change anything that does not need to be fixed but it's not that much extra work when the receiver
are on the operation table anyway.

I would appreciate very much all feedback you could give me.

Regards
Bernt
 
Back
Top Bottom