• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Pioneer SPEC 1 repair and restoration thread!

Gibsonian said:
I just ordered the caps and transistors to refurb my working Spec 1. Been wanting to do it for awhile now. Thanks alot mattsd for the list and new trick learned at Mouser. Man, makes it easy to order.

Did not hear from you your take on the sound of your Spec 1 after replacing the components. How bout it?

The SPEC-1 wasn't mine (unhappily) so I didn't really get a chance to listen to in depth, but there were noticeable changes, one being better bass response and the second clearer midrange and treble. I recently got in a SPEC-1 and 2 to give a full recap/restore to, so I'll be able to say more about before and after, as the owner is in no hurry for it.

theapples said:
what is recommended to clean the silver face

I use Simple Green diluted to the light cleaning recommendation, which I believe is 30:1 and a Magic Eraser. Beware with the Magic Eraser, it can take off the lettering if you scrub over it hard. I've never had it happen yet, but I know it can, so use common sense when cleaning over and around the lettering. I've found this combo works best for clearing the dirt, grime and most importantly the yellowish nicotine stains that are so hard to remove.
 
markthefixer said:
Ya know, It's FINALLY starting to dawn on me that you do this for a living :stupid:

:p

But seriously, I really don't do it for a living, but it's a nice side business and I gain immense satisfaction from fixing and restoring gear from guys on here and elsewhere to like new, along with helping people trying to do restore projects themselves.

But I speak the truth when I say I would not be here if it wasn't for you. You are most of the reason I'm at where I am now. The other techs on here helped as well, but none quite like you. I wanted to repair this stuff ever since I discovered vintage audio, but only had a limited knowledge about repairing gear and their little quirks until I found AK and your wonderful wealth of knowledge about repairing amps and stuff. I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and helping people fix their audio gear! :yes:
 
Last edited:
Reviving old thread. I bought a restored Spec 1 about a year ago, and it worked perfectly for 6 months or so. Now after it operates for a couple hours, there is a scratchy static in LH channel. Almost sounds like when you have FM multipath distortion, but it does it with any input source. The volume does control it, in other words if turned all the way down it goes away. Balance also removes it and plays R channel normally. Does it with tone switch off, so likely not tone board. I'm not a tech, but have a basic understanding of what not to do lol. Anyway, I thought I may get lucky with some freeze spray. Any ideas where to carefully focus efforts? The restoration looks to be a quality job. It came with a test sheet and list of parts replaced. Thank you for any help!
 
Last edited:
Wow I haven't been on in a long time, I need to update my signature! My current man cave rack--->
 

Attachments

  • ATT_1436915692195_20141025_195046_LLS.jpg
    ATT_1436915692195_20141025_195046_LLS.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 85
hi from greece
im new to the forum, and id like to make a question about the pioneer spec -1 restoration.
I ordered all the caps from the list for the restoration but i just figured out that i have all the decoupling capacitors values in audio path in ero tantal (mil series )
and some in siemens (mkl series). Can i use them instead of nichicons? or i whil ruin the job?
thanks in advance (sorry for the bad english)
 
We do not suggest to use tantalums anywhere , mil grade or not especially in the signal paths.
use Nichicon UKL or film in signal paths.
No idea about old Siemens parts, I have no data on them. You have no idea how old that they are, test them to be sure they are in spec at least.
 
I'm finished . The spec 1 passed power up test and I had driving a amp with no problem's. Time for some critical listening . I will sub it in for my other recapped only Spec 1 .
 
Hi All,
I picked up a spec 1 and spec 4 system many years ago, tested it all was fine at the time. The previous owner did tell me that he had put the spec 1 in the shop several times for the right channel dropping out. I have recently tried to put this system together again but had found that the right channel would work on the bench but would not in the rack. After troubleshooting I have found that the last wafer of the volume control AV-314 is cracked in half. Does any one know where I can find a bad volume control for parts or a complete volume control. I really hate to scrap this preamp.

Thanks MrModify
 
Please start your own thread, you'll get more attention and it will help us help you to get your problem fixed. :thumbsup:
 
The new transistors sound better I think . The sound is more open and detail without being bright and tighter bass. There is more space between the instruments also.
 
Great thread @mattsd !!! I used this thread to help me restore a Spec-1, and it was very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post this very useful information.
 
Back
Top Bottom