• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-1010, Needs Work

Jenkster

When I had talent
Subscriber

Saw this in the relatively local CL. Not sure if $500 is a good price seeing as it needs work? (Don't they all...) Anyway, I know someone who can fix it and his prices are very reasonable.:idea: What do you guys/gals think, grab it or pass?
 
Register to hide this ad
To many issues could be going on with it. Price to high to roll the dice I say.
That’s the way I was leaning. That and, I need that about as much as I need another hole in my head…
Thanks for your input.
 
On that model the amount of work and costs possibly ahead. This price is more then I would consider worth taking a chance on.
Buying a working unit could very well be the more prudent course.
 
I did have one quite some time ago but it never worked correctly as I recall. Ten or so years ago, irresponsible "Jenkster" would have been on his way to Chico. Nowadays, a wiser "Jenkster" asks questions and advice from the AK family. Still, there is The Tap Room at The Sierra Nevada Brewery in Chico, one of my favorite watering holes, err, restaurants. :beerchug::idea:
 
500 plus repair work plus 500+ for a recap and there nothing left on the bone so it would need to be for personal use without the idea of increasing your net worth until prices on vintage go up again.
 
500 plus repair work plus 500+ for a recap and there nothing left on the bone so it would need to be for personal use without the idea of increasing your net worth until prices on vintage go up again.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I spoke to the tech I use who happens to live in the same town as the seller. His opinion mirrors the advice from you guys. He may have inside information as he thought the receiver came from an estate sale and the seller was trying to cash in. Definitely going to pass on this one.
Thanks again….
 
The SX-1010 is certainly a high point in Pioneer vintage receivers when in good condition, especially if a late one. Those of us who own/owned them consider them to be the best sounding receiver that Pioneer made.

In assessing its value there is of course the abovementioned repair/restoration of the electronics for it to sound good and be reliable, especially an early one (which this is). Most of that can be done fairly easily with off-the-shelf parts (not sure about the tuner section if it has a chip like the SX-1250, I don't remember). The cosmetics however are a different matter, if cosmetics are excellent-original on the unit, I would consider it worthy of the restoration. I haven't looked at high-resolution photos but I do see a broken AM antenna mount.

Other than that, I agree with the above that you will be into it for even money after restoration, might be upside down if you have it restored by a competent Tech, and therefore a pass on money alone.
 
Back
Top Bottom