Hi everyone! 
I have two questions about my Pioneer SX-1080.
I finally broke down and bought a Pioneer SX-1080. Though I knew it needed extensive repairs, I didn't care and had the unit entirely rebuilt a year ago. He replaced all caps and many other parts that are known to fail over time. The rebuild was done by an experienced hobbiest who has rebuilt many previous units.
Question #1. Hard start-up thud.
However, since my rebuild, the unit does not seem to go through a soft power-up process. Before the rebuild, after turning the switch on, the unit remained silent for nearly a full half-second before the relay would audibly click on and bring the unit to full power. However, after the rebuild, the unit powers up quickly resulting in a "thud" in the speakers.
I took it back to the hobbiest tech who did the original work and he switched out the relays to see if the problem lay there. He was unable to find anything. I took the SX-1080 to an experienced tech at a professional shop who went through the entire unit carefully. He noted that the hobbiest tech had done meticulous work on the unit and found no mistakes. Everything seems to be working to spec. He was unable to find the reason for the hard startup. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Question #2. Poor FM reception
Recently, my SX1080 has had trouble tuning in FM stations that are normally quite weak. Other radios, including digitally tuned shortwave radios also have trouble picking up the stations. Is there a chance there's something wrong with the SX-1080 tuner? Do I need an external antenna in addition to the build-in chunky antenna on the SX-1080?
Thanks for suggestions and advice
I have two questions about my Pioneer SX-1080.
I finally broke down and bought a Pioneer SX-1080. Though I knew it needed extensive repairs, I didn't care and had the unit entirely rebuilt a year ago. He replaced all caps and many other parts that are known to fail over time. The rebuild was done by an experienced hobbiest who has rebuilt many previous units.
Question #1. Hard start-up thud.
However, since my rebuild, the unit does not seem to go through a soft power-up process. Before the rebuild, after turning the switch on, the unit remained silent for nearly a full half-second before the relay would audibly click on and bring the unit to full power. However, after the rebuild, the unit powers up quickly resulting in a "thud" in the speakers.
I took it back to the hobbiest tech who did the original work and he switched out the relays to see if the problem lay there. He was unable to find anything. I took the SX-1080 to an experienced tech at a professional shop who went through the entire unit carefully. He noted that the hobbiest tech had done meticulous work on the unit and found no mistakes. Everything seems to be working to spec. He was unable to find the reason for the hard startup. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Question #2. Poor FM reception
Recently, my SX1080 has had trouble tuning in FM stations that are normally quite weak. Other radios, including digitally tuned shortwave radios also have trouble picking up the stations. Is there a chance there's something wrong with the SX-1080 tuner? Do I need an external antenna in addition to the build-in chunky antenna on the SX-1080?
Thanks for suggestions and advice
