• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-1250 Top Grill painting or powdercoating black vs. original

mmsean

New Member
Just curious what your thoughts regarding the top grill painted black or powdercoated. I really love the originality of my unit but don't really like the brown grill. Show me pictures of what you've done and would you refuse to buy a unit if it wasn't 100% original on something as simple as the color of the grill?
 
Register to hide this ad
Just curious what your thoughts regarding the top grill painted black or powdercoated. I really love the originality of my unit but don't really like the brown grill. Show me pictures of what you've done and would you refuse to buy a unit if it wasn't 100% original on something as simple as the color of the grill?
Some of the factory grills are black. And they look much better than the drab brown
 
634cec5d-edfc-4cc7-94fb-bfafb916220d.4ef4587101b76e2476851cff08fd809d.jpegEasy project. This color looks good and is available at Home Depot, Walmart, etc. Just lightly sand the piece, hang it from a wire hook, and paint it up.
 
I've restored a handful of of these SX grills that were in bad condition. I've tried a few different black spray paint flavors and I like Rustoleum Ultra Flat black spray paint the best.
 
Last edited:
I just restored the grill on a SX-750. Two or three coats of Krylon Appliance Epoxy, and then bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for a couple of hours. Looks original, and it's tough too.
 
The grille on my 980 was in bad shape when I bought it. I sanded it down with an orbital sander, primed it, and painted it with RustOleum bed liner. Gave it a nice textured finish, and should be durable.
upload_2022-1-27_18-55-22.jpeg
upload_2022-1-27_18-55-54.jpeg
 
The 1280’s have the black grill where the 1250 is brown.
Although I agree with rhodus. The black does look better encompassing the black heatsinks. Gives a seamless look.
 
I thought about going black on the grill but then my heat sinks might look ragged in comparison. I settled for a color close to the original. Took the grill to a professional powder coating shop. I was rebuilding the SX-1250 and didn't want to go cheap.

DSC01899.JPG

Turns out that the 20 dollars the shop charged me was well worth it. No runs, no drips, no errors.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01903.JPG
    DSC01903.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 8
I haven't had to paint a 1250 cover, but I used Rustoleium hammered finish on similar covers with good results.
This! ^^^ The "hammer finish" looks very good on almost anything. Plus once it is "dry to the touch", I will bake the parts in the oven for a few hours at around 250°F. It helps to harden the paint, and gets rid of the off-gassing to a point it is no longer objectionable.
 
I thought about going black on the grill but then my heat sinks might look ragged in comparison. I settled for a color close to the original. Took the grill to a professional powder coating shop. I was rebuilding the SX-1250 and didn't want to go cheap.

View attachment 2466457

Turns out that the 20 dollars the shop charged me was well worth it. No runs, no drips, no errors.
That looks OUTSTANDING! Too bad the filter caps are blue (I have the same ones), but a black sharpie will take care of that. Around the top, and down about an inch hides the blue very well.
 
That looks OUTSTANDING! Too bad the filter caps are blue (I have the same ones), but a black sharpie will take care of that. Around the top, and down about an inch hides the blue very well.

Or you can cut the bottom off of some beer cans and slide them over the blue caps...

:beerchug::beerchug:
 
Back
Top Bottom