• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-1980 Adapter Switch

Edriz

AK Member
In the past, I have used the adapter jacks/switch only for my noise reduction as per the owner manual. Has anyone with a 1980 used the adapter jacks/function for any other sound processors? Maybe daisy chaining multiple sound processors instead of using the tape 1 loop?

I have thought about using the adapter for the moise reduction but also my EQ and 3bx and just hooking the cassette deck direct to the tape 1.

Any opinions about using the adapter this way or has any 1980 owners use the adapter for anything other then what's described in the owner manual? :confused:
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Ed, It is essentially like any other input when you hook a CD, TT, or Cassette. However when you use an EQ you want to use both the in & out. It sends the EQ'd signal to any other component that you have on. On other units its' called a monitor. It is the only input/output you can use for signal processing.every source will be processed through the adapter, but if you use the other inputs for processing, you have to run it piggyback with ONLY the particular component the signal passes through, hence, only that particular component will be processed signal wise. yeah when you daisy chain a processor for every component it can get messy.
 
Hi Ed, It is essentially like any other input when you hook a CD, TT, or Cassette. However when you use an EQ you want to use both the in & out. It sends the EQ'd signal to any other component that you have on. On other units its' called a monitor. It is the only input/output you can use for signal processing.every source will be processed through the adapter, but if you use the other inputs for processing, you have to run it piggyback with ONLY the particular component the signal passes through, hence, only that particular component will be processed signal wise. yeah when you daisy chain a processor for every component it can get messy.

I think that I'll try using it for just the 3bx range expander then and put the dbx-224 noise reduction and the dbx-2015G EQ to the Tape 1 with the Cassette deck. DBX recommends having the noise reduction just before the tape deck and with the #bx at the adapter I can use the range expansion with all sources. I'll give that a try so not to have too many processing devices all daisy chained together.

Thanks for the advice

Ed
 
NP, Ed. Glad to help. Here's a pic of my Silver beauty. Can you see the adapter switch engaged? I use a 12 band EQ with adjustable gain control and I use it mostly, but on newer CD's that are true digital recordings I turn it off and go "au natural". Have you noticed that most CD's made and sold nowadays are enhanced recordings and they are recorded at a higher SPL and sound "louder"? With me, when I listen to "enhanced" CD's with the EQ on, the sound has just too much coloration and is nearly unbearable.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 21
Your such a tease. I haven't got my 1980 here yet.:tears:

Maybe that's a better idea, put the EQ there at the Adapter? I have my PDR-555 on the Tape 2 loop anyway.

Here's another question that's been making me crazy. How do I get the sound processing gear to work with the Tape 2 switch?

It seems when I do use the Tape 2, even if I have the Duplicate switch ON and monitor through the Tape 1 deck, the DBX-3bx does nothing for expansion or compression and I also get nothing from the EQ? I have tried using the Pre and Post functions and makes no difference.

That was one of the reasons I thought of Daisy chaining all sound processing gear through the adapter. Now that I know better I won't do that but I did want the SP gear to be useful for all sources.
 
NP, Ed. Glad to help. Here's a pic of my Silver beauty. Can you see the adapter switch engaged? I use a 12 band EQ with adjustable gain control and I use it mostly, but on newer CD's that are true digital recordings I turn it off and go "au natural". Have you noticed that most CD's made and sold nowadays are enhanced recordings and they are recorded at a higher SPL and sound "louder"? With me, when I listen to "enhanced" CD's with the EQ on, the sound has just too much coloration and is nearly unbearable.

My DBX 2015G also has the gains. I think IMHO that the SX-1980 is just absolutely the most gorgeous piece of electronics ever to be built. There is just no argument:ntwrthy:
 
Yes, Ed, put your DBX on the Adapter in/out and engage the switch, you then will have processed sound at whatever source you play, even the FM-AM tuner:)
 
Big Tuna, what would you think if I run all my sound processing gear through the Adapter circuit. That way all sources are getting the benefit of the range expansion,EQ and noise reduction.

I'm also considering replacing my DBX gear with the Pioneer SG-9 EQ or the SG-9800EQ and RG-2 Processor

So, instead of 3 pieces of DBX I would be using only 2 pieces of Pioneer Gear. The reasons for the switch is a few. The brushed alluminum appearence would match the rest of my pioneer source gear, TT, Cass., Receiver and also the EQ has the Lighted LED sliders making it easier for me to see the slider positions.

The RG-2 Processor, to my understanding does the job of expansion/compression and also to a certain extent also handles noise reduction which would take the place of 2 pieces of the DBX gear.

I believe the quality of the Pioneer equipment should be as good as DBX and I know that the Pioneer brans is also as well respected as any out there.

Although DBX specializes in sound processing gear I haven't used Pioneer sound processing gear. The only other SP gear I have used is KLH, SAE, Sansui Reverb and maybe some I can't remember.

I made a post to try to get some advice as to comparisons between DBX and Pioneer but no responses yet. I think that was the post. Maybe I was checking to see the difference between the RG-1 and RG-2 other then meters vs. LED's.

I have seen both on that auction site and if I am going to do it, I need to act today for the RG-2. Very low price but I'd like some advice first.
 
Back
Top Bottom