• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer sx 1980,crazy price for lower end

Pioneer.user

Active Member
Register to hide this ad
Unfortunately I can't read it but the person has a killer looking store with some really nice looking equipment.

Yep, the big stuff is going through the roof and everyone is looking for a bigger price. It doesn't mean it will sell for that much but it will make people look. Even 20 years ago these units were going for your asking price, they were priced at a premium back then and have only gotten much more expensive with all the knowledge passed around the internet. Those were good times back then, I still get a score now and then but it's much more rare.
 
Yep, $15k is a crazy lot of money, but you're not buying something based on it's performance but rather for it's nostalgia and collector value.
$1250 in 1975, adjusted for inflation is the equivalent of $7,080 today.
Compare this to cars - the Shelby Cobra in 1964 was about $7500 (which was really expensive). Today the cheapest one is over a million dollars with some version over 20x that amount. That's for a car that can be outperformed by many common cars today.

You're buying more then a receiver.
 
Last edited:
We've had this discussion many times here, particularly regarding the SX-1980. Lots of people who got into audio around that time, couldn't afford it. Now they have a lot more disposable income and they can. Does it make sense? Not to me. I wanted something like that then, but now, while it would be pretty, it would just take up a lot of room in my apartment,
 
Yep, $15k is a crazy lot of money, but your not buying something based on it's performance but rather for it's nostalgia and collector value.

I have sentiments also but i wont pay 15 k usd for it. But oh well if someone wants to burn 15 k for all in one radio...
 
Most anything that becomes collectible increases in value, sometimes dramatically. The market sets the price. My Fada 1000 tube radio from 1945 was sold new for 38.40. Nowadays depending upon the color combinations they can go for thousands. It's really all about supply and demand. The SX-1980 is what I'd call an iconic piece of equipment.

Mike

fada.jpgfada1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Ebay is full of TOTL models priced 2-3x "the going rate." Then you look at sales history and the unit has already been bought a few times. There might be some skullduggery going on behind the scene.
 
I have a few TOTL receivers that I bought before the big price increase. It's all about supply and demand/bragging rights/collectability/nostalgia. If I were just starting to collect today...no way would I be collecting and/or paying the going prices.
When I was still buying, I knew that receivers weren't the last word in high fidelity. I just liked the way receivers look. To me many are works of industrial art. Each brand having it's own take on design. It's also fun to compare units and hear the differences. Ultimately, you decide which brands/models you like and which you don't.
 
I have a few TOTL receivers that I bought before the big price increase. It's all about supply and demand/bragging rights/collectability/nostalgia. If I were just starting to collect today...no way would I be collecting and/or paying the going prices.
When I was still buying, I knew that receivers weren't the last word in high fidelity. I just liked the way receivers look. To me many are works of industrial art. Each brand having it's own take on design. It's also fun to compare units and hear the differences. Ultimately, you decide which brands/models you like and which you don't.

I have only one vintage TOTL receiver, and I bought it in the early 1980's, when it was just a used receiver, not old enough to be considered "vintage." At the time, it was the best performance I could get for that amount of money; it would have cost more to buy a separate power amp, preamp, and tuner that performed better (or even just as well). It performs well, and because I have had it so long, I am very used to it; it is like an old friend now, having used it almost constantly for about 40 years. So I have no interest in selling it. But there is no way I would buy it at the current going rate, as I could now get better used separates for less. (I did not buy it as a collector; I bought it to use, to get the best performance I could afford at that time.) Not that it matters for this discussion, but my TOTL receiver is not the Pioneer SX-1980 that is the subject of this thread.

I do, however, disagree with the opening post about the SX-1980 being "lower end." If we compare all of the components Pioneer made during that time, all of the receivers, integrated amplifiers, power amps, preamps, and tuners, the SX-1980 would be in the upper half of what was made at the time. Putting a tuner, preamp, and power amp in one box does not automatically make it bad, nor does putting them all in separate boxes automatically make them good. For example, the tuner in the SX-1980 is much better than the bottom-of-the-line separate Pioneer tuner of that time, though not as good as the top-of-the-line separate tuner. It is just silly to judge the quality by the number of boxes the equipment is in.

However, I do agree that it is now overpriced, and one could easily get better performance with separates at the current going rate. The people who buy it now are collectors, not people who are wanting the best sound for their money (unless they are fooling themselves). It is fine if someone wants to be a collector, but it is good if one is honest, at least with oneself, about what it is that one is doing when making a purchase like that.
 
While I'm not a collector of audio gear, I can appreciate that there are collectable components such as the SX-1980 that command what might seem like ridiculous prices to some.

As has been pointed out several times, it's not so much about the performance, but what the item itself represents.

I'm a collector of model airplane engines. I have a number of the run o' the mill engines, although now I'm not buying so many of them. I now concentrate on the rare engines. The early production four strokes made starting in the mid '70s can be worth several times their original price, although they weren't cheap even then. Compared to later 4 stroke engines they do not perform well, but their open rockers and what they represent as a huge change in the market positions them as a collector's item.

I'm awaiting an early four stroke now, a Kalt FC-1. Fairly rare, NIB. It's coming from Hong Kong. The box is in incredibly good shape too. Stoked. I paid around $1100 with everything included. Its original price is probably somewhere around $150-200. I definitely paid on the high end of the market, but in this case, there's a good chance I won't see another one in this condition for years. I see a used one missing parts sold for $350 recently.

So if someone wants a SX-1980, and they're willing to pay the price, I'm not going to criticize them. I've spent far more on other engines than that Kalt I just mentioned.
 
6000?! For a receiver? Which cost only 1250 usd when New? Lol. People are wasting money
$1250 in 1978 is $6500 today with inflation. They is a price added on for collect ability also. They don't make them anymore. And the ones that are in top condition are bringing premium
 
6000?! For a receiver? Which cost only 1250 usd when New? Lol. People are wasting money
No as stated people are satisfying their desires of owning the big one they could not afford when they bought the 780



the Shelby Cobra in 1964
Pick a vehicle that is common as dirt the Camaro or Mustang, then you get 10x MSRP as the beginning of the price range for a nice recapped unit. The Shelby is an outlier due to rarity. The SX-1980 isn't exactly hard to find.



The SX-1280 is what I'd call an iconic piece of equipment.
You mean the 1980 and well some think of it that way. It is just an out of proportion receiver to me.



1958 BMW "507"
Again pick a common vehicle. Take the 3.0CSi (not the limited L version) and you again have a car selling for well above 10x MSRP for a nicely recapped unit.


These vehicles and this receiver are things people want, not things they need so they are spending their fun money, money they can use to buy what makes them happy. No accounting for taste when this happens. People buy all sorts of things for stupid money that others just don't understand.
 
Last edited:
The Pioneer-1980 was and still is the most powerful receiver ever made. It was rated at 270 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms, both channels driven. This makes the SX-1980 Pioneer's most powerful receiver, as well as being one of the most powerful receivers ever manufactured in the world, to date.
 
The Pioneer-1980 was and still is the most powerful receiver ever made. It was rated at 270 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms, both channels driven. This makes the SX-1980 Pioneer's most powerful receiver, as well as being one of the most powerful receivers ever manufactured in the world, to date.
We all love the SX-1980 - I sold mine a few years ago to pay off a car loan,
But the Technics SA1000 was rated at 330 watts/channel at 8 ohms.
 
Back
Top Bottom