• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-434 into an Aiyima A07

Saalor

Active Member
I just ordered an Aiyima A07 to use as a desktop amplifier with a Topping DAC.

I have my dad's old Pioneer SX-434 that I had professionally "fixed up" a few years ago. I never use it as it only has 15 watts power but it does have a good, thick sound. It has no preamp-outs.

I was thinking of buying a speaker to line level converter on Amazon and using the Pioneer to feed the Aiyima (which has its own volume control). I don't care very much about adding the Pioneer's tuner or phono amp, which are bonuses but not necessary. The purpose was really to add some warmth to the Aiyima and a bit of that vintage bling the Pioneer's lit up dial provides.

Before I go ahead and try it out, I was wondering what people think? Should I try this, or will it just add unnecessary distortion to the Aiyima?
 
Register to hide this ad
If you don't mind not having any tone controls, just plug the Aiyima into the Pioneers tape out.

This is just my personal opinion and not having an Aiyima on my test bench to test it, I don't think that thing can put out 300 watts per channel however I am not up to date versed on the new chip technology that keeps improving every day.

When you get it, let us know if you can shake the house with that thing. :smoke:
 
Last edited:
No tone controls and no volume controls either.

I really don't see the point of having the signal go through the Pioneer preamp, then the amp, and then the signal gets reduced to go into something else. Why not just go find a cheap tube preamp and try that first?
 
If you don't mind not having any tone controls, just plug the Aiyima into the Pioneers tape out.

This is just my personal opinion and not having an Aiyima on my test bench to test it, I don't think that thing can put out 300 watts per channel however I am not up to date versed on the new chip technology that keeps improving every day.

When you get it, let us know if you can shake the house with that thing. :smoke:

I realize it will put out nowhere near 300 wpc. Tests on audioscience review suggest I should get 50 watts clean power into 8ohms using the power brick it comes with, so I figure that should be sufficient to drive a pair of Elac bookshelves in my office. I do like to play pretty loud there sometimes. I will let you know how it turns out.
 
No tone controls and no volume controls either.

I really don't see the point of having the signal go through the Pioneer preamp, then the amp, and then the signal gets reduced to go into something else. Why not just go find a cheap tube preamp and try that first?

Ya, I suspect this is right. My thinking was, the vintage Pioneer receiver sounds great, the only issue with my sx-434 is lack of power, so couple it with the Aiyima's 50 watts and problem solved. When it arrives I will play around with it and post my observations. Maybe one of those chi-fi tube stages would be just the ticket. My friend has one of those with his vintage Marantz receiver and some inexpensive Klipsch speakers and it sounds good.
 
Using a spkr-level to line-level converter on a low power receiver actually isn't too bad. Because of the lower power, the signal isn't going through a lot of circuitry, AND, you don't need as heavy duty of resistors in the output L-pad. It should work fine.
 
Back
Top Bottom