• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX 50 series vs SX 80 series vs SA series

Thisiscobras

New Member
I realize a similar question was posted a few years ago I just wanted to try and get some refreshed opinions. I recently made the "upgrade" from an SX 780 to an SX 850 and I find myself actually missing the sound of my old 780. Of course I like the apparent build upgrade of the 50 series and sure there's more bass but perhaps I just prefer the brighter sound of the 80 series. I've read that moving to the SA series may require some taming with EQ and that they may have a warmer sound which isn't really what I'm looking for either. Should I just see if this 850 grows on me once it gets some hours on it (came from very little use 1 owner) or perhaps look into an SX 980 or SA 9500? Thanks for any help guys and thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a SX-850 and a SX-980 and they both sounds great. I could have been happy with either but I was downsizing and let them both go.Recently picked up a SA-9100 and I'm very impressed with it . It has more features on it than any other pioneer I've ever owned . Plenty of power will run 3 sets of speakers 2 turntables 2 aux. has additional tuning for the bass and treble . You can't go wrong with any of the big pioneer units .
 
but perhaps I just prefer the brighter sound of the 80 series

Hi, yes maybe the 80 series are just right for you. You are opposite to me, l like the earlier x3x series of receivers for the slightly warmer sound. I guess if you just wanted more grunt and features then yes the sx-980 would be a nice upgrade. The sa-9500 will sound very much like the 50 series of receivers l would think, haven't owned a 9500 but have had an 8500.

I haven't had any of the later SA series of amps, the sa-7800, sa-8800 or sa-9800, someone might chime in on how these sound compared to the 80 series receivers.

Just remember that it is unlikely that any of them sound exactly how they would have when new as all of the components are so old, restoration helps a lot in my opinion.
 
Thank you both. Much appreciated on your takes. I guess I'll ride that 850 out until I can score a 980. No immediate rush as the 850 grew on me a bit last night after a few choice records.
 
I actually have had all of the x5x and x8x series up to the 950 and 980 and am in the minority preferring the additional "crispness" of the 80 series. That probably has to do with some hearing loss on my end.
 
Back
Top Bottom