• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-535 re-cap with pics

I see that you left the original tantalum bead caps in place on the phono preamp board. They're probably not defective, but the preamp might very well sound cleaner with some good low-leakage aluminum lytics instead.

Will bear that in mind for the next re-cap, thanks for the tip. Low leakage would be Nichicon KL rather than KW, that's what I ordered for a SA-7800 phono stage.

Lee.
 
i bought one today in:banana::banana: the original box mint condition for $15.00 did and have not tested it yet. but for $15.00 a freking bargain in my book. steve
 
Nice work! One detail to pay attention to is on the phono eq board. Those blue drops are tantalum caps. They're similar to electrolytics and their failure mode is to go dead short. I'd suggest they be replaced, too. Electro's will do in their place.

Also, any 2SC458s you find, get them out of there, too. Pioneer, among others, used them extensively and they had noise problems big time. Lots were swapped under warranty.

I'll bet it does sound a _lot_ better.

Cheers,

David

Edit: Dang, I see Binary Mike spotted them, too.....
 
PioneerSX-535recap11.jpg

You missed a couple of tantalums there. Two in the very middle - yellow and purple round things. And a blue one on each side. These are rather infamous. I'd go back and do those too. Electrolytics are proper replacements, but I'd use mylar caps (they are cheaper and last forever).

Looks like a fun project. Nothing like a good recap.

:)

EDIT: Oops, there was a page two. With similar posts. Oh well. Maybe this will be the last drop that makes you go back and finish this thing up. ;)
 
i bought one today in:banana::banana: the original box mint condition for $15.00 did and have not tested it yet. but for $15.00 a freking bargain in my book. steve

hooked it up all the controls are completely noise and crackle free. this sounds like a lot more than 20 watts per channel. love the sx-535
 
You missed a couple of tantalums there. Two in the very middle - yellow and purple round things. And a blue one on each side. These are rather infamous. I'd go back and do those too. Electrolytics are proper replacements, but I'd use mylar caps (they are cheaper and last forever).

Looks like a fun project. Nothing like a good recap.

:)

EDIT: Oops, there was a page two. With similar posts. Oh well. Maybe this will be the last drop that makes you go back and finish this thing up. ;)

I sold this receiver last year, but will bear in mind the replacement of tant bead caps for future projects. I always keep my eyes peeled for receivers of this era, I picked up an SX-626 earlier this year. It had issues that caused it to keep blowing fuses. I did a search on the forums, and found out the correct cure for the problem. Hopefully the new owner is having just as much enjoyment from it as the new owner of the 535.

Lee.
 
Back
Top Bottom