• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-636 blowing fuses

Sibley

New Member
Hi there, I picked up a SX-636 today that ended up having an issue right off the bat. I'm wondering if some of you with some experience could have a look at the schematic that I'm including and tell me if the problem could be the 4 diodes that are all connected. fuse 1 and 5 both blow as soon as its fired up. They don't lead anywhere except the transformer and to these diodes. when I replaced the fuses I had volume and sound from both channels for a split second. Then that fast i did not as i watched the fuses blow. Thanks in advance for any help.
 

Attachments

Register to hide this ad
Most likely a blown output, which is drawing too much current and blowing fuses. Remove and test all the output transistors first . Then test everything in the driver amp
First step would be to build a DBT (Dim bulb tester) and use that so that you can prevent the fuses blowing up when you work to get it back working properly.
 
I actually just purchased a dim bulb tester and I haven't even used it yet. So that will be great to try out.
 
Have fun with your SX-636 @Sibley !

I still have mine and did a full restore on it back in 2019, with help from here, and it came out great. (It was blowing fuses as well).


 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom