• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX 727 question

jsg1469

Member
Happy New Year folks.
I have a nice SX 727 that is flawless. A real work horse. I’ve owned it several years and had it recapped and cleaned about a year ago. My question is over the past couple of weeks I’ve noticed that after playing it for an hour or so my tuner stereo (red) light will start to fade in and out until it stays on permanently. I listen to my turntable about 90% of the time and my cassette deck the rest. It doesn’t come on with the cassette. The unit does not run hot (warm) and it does not effect the sound. Is this something to worry about later down the road and what might cause this. Thank you in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
May be a sign of the tuner circuit needing to be aligned, not a job for the casual enthusiast as some specialized tools are required.

You can try and run the tuner up and down the scale a few times, also check your antenna connections and antenna "aim" or position.
 
From the factory documrntation, it appears that the FM board receives power from the power supply regardless of what mode is selected for the unit. Thus, the detector is always operating, and if a stereo signal is being received, the indicator lamp can turn on. I recently realized this while working in a SX-838 which is similarly configured. In phono, tape, or AUX modes the stereo lamp will remain lit if the tuner is set at a stereo broadcasting station.
 
From the factory documrntation, it appears that the FM board receives power from the power supply regardless of what mode is selected for the unit. Thus, the detector is always operating, and if a stereo signal is being received, the indicator lamp can turn on. I recently realized this while working in a SX-838 which is similarly configured. In phono, tape, or AUX modes the stereo lamp will remain lit if the tuner is set at a stereo broadcasting station.
I’ve just never noticed it before and because where we live (rural) I can only pick up 2 or 3 stations. But it doesn’t do it on the tape 1 mode. It’s strange. Thanks
 
Could be the stereo lamp driver is going bad. I have seen a few receivers with the stereo light stuck on.

Rob
 
It has no effect on your audio and it won't hurt anything however it can be annoying and probably pointing to a MPX problem in the tuner section.
 
Back
Top Bottom