Hello! I'm hoping I could get some troubleshooting advice for an issue with my Pioneer SX-828. This receiver fell into my lap recently and was kind of working before I decided it needed a refresh. I'd like to say that this forum has been a wealth of information while I've been working on it the past few weeks. I'm pretty sure I'm the 2nd owner of this receiver, but I do think it's been opened up in the past for repair. I have some old receipts from the late 70s that confirm this, I just don't know the scope of the work.
Originally the receiver would turn on but none of the lights worked. I tested the AUX input, FM radio, and tape inputs, those all worked. One channel worked well on all the outputs and the other was really really quite. I believe the left channel sound fine (A, B, & C) and the right channel was the quite one. But I didn't write it down and am not 100% sure on that.
I've made it though most of refresh and now the protection relay isn't firing. I purchase parts from peace.love.and.music (ebay) for the refresh. The complete rebuild kit, the LED light kit, and the OnSemi MJ21195G & MJ21196G Transistors.
As it sits now, I've changed out the fuse lights and reworked the following boards: power supply unit AWR-010 , protection board W28-008, head amp unit W21-002, AF unit AWK-012, and the main amp unit AWH-010. I've also replaced the 3 big stand alone caps. All the lights kicked on once I cleaned all the pots and refreshed the AF unit AWK-012.
I've been testing it as I complete each board using a dim-bulb tester, but TBH I didn't pay enough attention to the relay to know what board refresh made it stop working.
Anyway, at this time I'm not sure if I actually have a low voltage problem or an issue with the protection board. I've not changed the relay yet, but I can ground pin 9 on the protection board and it clicks.
Here are my voltage readings as it sits now. (note: vr1-4 on the main amp are adjusted to their mid point for now).
Pins 9, 10, 19, 20, 21, & 23 on the amp board seem a little off from my research of what they should be.
Same with 9, 14 , 15, & 17 on the power supply board.
Protection Board W28-008
Power Supply Board AWR-010
power amp AWH-010
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Originally the receiver would turn on but none of the lights worked. I tested the AUX input, FM radio, and tape inputs, those all worked. One channel worked well on all the outputs and the other was really really quite. I believe the left channel sound fine (A, B, & C) and the right channel was the quite one. But I didn't write it down and am not 100% sure on that.
I've made it though most of refresh and now the protection relay isn't firing. I purchase parts from peace.love.and.music (ebay) for the refresh. The complete rebuild kit, the LED light kit, and the OnSemi MJ21195G & MJ21196G Transistors.
As it sits now, I've changed out the fuse lights and reworked the following boards: power supply unit AWR-010 , protection board W28-008, head amp unit W21-002, AF unit AWK-012, and the main amp unit AWH-010. I've also replaced the 3 big stand alone caps. All the lights kicked on once I cleaned all the pots and refreshed the AF unit AWK-012.
I've been testing it as I complete each board using a dim-bulb tester, but TBH I didn't pay enough attention to the relay to know what board refresh made it stop working.
Anyway, at this time I'm not sure if I actually have a low voltage problem or an issue with the protection board. I've not changed the relay yet, but I can ground pin 9 on the protection board and it clicks.
Here are my voltage readings as it sits now. (note: vr1-4 on the main amp are adjusted to their mid point for now).
Pins 9, 10, 19, 20, 21, & 23 on the amp board seem a little off from my research of what they should be.
Same with 9, 14 , 15, & 17 on the power supply board.
Protection Board W28-008
| Pin | |
| 1 | -34mV |
| 2 | -12.96V |
| 3 | -29mV |
| 4 | gnd |
| 5 | -67mV |
| 6 | 7mV |
| 7 | -11mV |
| 8 | -45mV |
| 9 | 34.94V |
| 10 | 34.96V |
| 11 | 34.97V |
| 12 | 0.432VAC (note this is a W28-008) |
| TP1 | 31.68V |
| TP2 | 35V |
Power Supply Board AWR-010
| 1 | GND |
| 2 | 12.71 V |
| 3 | |
| 4 | 4.34 V |
| 5 | 31.3 V |
| 6 | 33.8 V |
| 7 | 35.06 V |
| 8 | 35.87 VAC |
| 9 | 43.5 V |
| 10 | 35.90 VAC |
| 11 | GND |
| 12 | 29.58 VAC |
| 13 | 29.58 VAC |
| 14 | 37.65 V |
| 15 | 37.64 V |
| 16 | GND |
| 17 | -38.13 V |
| 18 | 35.28 VAC |
| 19 | -27 mV |
| 20 | -27 mV |
| 21 | -28 mV |
| 22 | -28 mV |
power amp AWH-010
| 1 | 1mV |
| 2 | 1mV |
| 3 | GND |
| 4 | GND |
| 5 | GND |
| 6 | GND |
| 7 | -28 mV |
| 8 | -26mV |
| 9 | 37.64 V |
| 10 | 37.76 V |
| 11 | -11 Mv |
| 12 | 12 mV |
| 13 | 0.571 V |
| 14 | 0.609 V |
| 15 | -0.587 V |
| 16 | -0.621 V |
| 17 | -42 mV |
| 18 | -60 mV |
| 19 | -37.84 V |
| 20 | -37.69 V |
| 21 | 37.87 V |
| 22 | -13.06 V |
| 23 | -38.28 V |
| 24 | GND |
| 25 | 1.136 V |
| 26 | 1.173 V |
| 27 | -0.915 V |
| 28 | -0.873 V |
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited: