• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-850 with Marquetry Cabinet

bgray43050

New Member
I've always enjoyed building marquetry furniture, and I've recently decided to apply this to some audio equipment.

This is a Pioneer SX-850. The marquetry is birds eye maple, three types of dyed bolivar, maple, and satinwood.

i-LDWVZLs-2344x1631.jpg


i-fbg3zGk-2344x1391.jpg


i-XjQLwHt-3327x1364.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice custom work. How long did that take? I'm still trying to improve my wood working skills so I really appreciate the share.
 
Nice custom work. How long did that take? I'm still trying to improve my wood working skills so I really appreciate the share.

Thanks! The entire thing was about 2 months, but I really couldn't spend much time except weekends and some evenings....so hours? I'm guessing 30-40 hours.
 
That's a beautiful case. Not many people seem to want to take an interest in creating things like that any more. I'm impressed because my skills limit is wire wool and stain :)

Phil
 
Yeah, that's impressive. I'm assuming it's as beautiful inside (full restoration)?

Not a full restoration, but I did all that was needed. Cleaned, Deoxit, all pots, switches, etc. Replaced a few lights, replaced the glass as it was cracked. But all capacitors are looking fine, so I left it at that. It sounds great, so I'm good with where it is. Thanks!
 
That is excellent.

The only problem is that now you don't want to put anything on top of it ! LOL You'll need a bigger shelf if you want a turntable and all that.
 
Amazing - that is 100% unique. Never seen something like that.

Did you veneer the end caps or are they solid?
 
Back
Top Bottom