• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-880 buying advise

Garret86

Member
So I’m going to look at a pioneer sx-880 that appears to visually be in good shape. The only info I have is that it plays. I am allowed to open it up and test it however I like. I have little experience with this as it is going to be my second receiver so far. How can I verify that this unit is in good condition functionally and what tests or inspections should I perform. I plan on keeping this unit long term as I love the look.
 
Register to hide this ad
If you don't know what you're looking for in there, stay out. Just have them put it through it's functions to be sure it's working correctly. Listen for dirty controls, listen to see if it gets good reception from one end to the other in FM stereo and also in AM. Check to see that all bulbs work. Meter bulbs, dial bulbs, function bulbs, stereo bulb, etc. If you start poking around in there you can cause problems.
 
I have a SX-880 that I bought at a garage sale about 5 years ago. Beautiful unit, one owner and it's been trouble free. One thing that I recall finding when I searched for info is that this unit had some faulty IC chip from the factory. As such they sometimes have a burned up spot on one of the boards [search for specifics]. I did not find any such burnt spot and when I spoke to the seller a week later he remembered that shortly after he purchased it new he received a service notice from Pioneer about this and had the part replaced.

Good luck. It's a fabulous unit!

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom