• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-939 lights

spaghetti

Active Member
Hello, I recently purchased a troubled Pioneer SX-939 and I've just finished repairing it. After closing it I noticed that a lot of light comes out from the top grill, see attached picture:
30GijoD.jpg


The light comes out abundant from the dial illumination area:

CCWAXfx.jpg


I don't think this what Pioneer had originally in mind regarding the receiver illumination. Am I missing some filtering part or what?

Thanks,
Andrea
 
Register to hide this ad
By the looks of it if ya leave it on long enough you will have a fire.
Does it have a dimmer switch like the 828? Not that it would fix the problem but, maybe dim them a little for the time being.
I think I'd check to see what bulbs where put in and either change them of take every other one out if it's possible without shutting off the others.
 
It has a light dimmer button, but also when depressed I see a lot of light coming out of the top cover. Maybe the previous owner put 6V lamps instead of 8V (manual says 7.5V, but I doubt they're still readily available).
 
Take a sheet of Aluminium Foil and glue it to the underside of the top cover. This will reflect heat off the top cover. As for the light you can try some light card stock and place it off the top, just in front of the griill. Don't extend across the whole top as it WILL block heat from the grille. I have the same problem with mine, it's a design fault. You get used to it after a while.
 
Back
Top Bottom