• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX series speaker plugs

CT Jim

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
What a %^%$stupid idea these speaker plugs were. I bought 2 sx series receivers and didn't get any plugs. I have since found a way to make my own for about $2 each.

If anyone is interested, how should I post the info? I'm not interested in making them to sell, I just thought it may help someone who needs them, instead of the e source at $20+ per set!

So do you want to use your receiver, or is it important that it be a pristine original unit?
 
Register to hide this ad
What a %^%$stupid idea these speaker plugs were. I bought 2 sx series receivers and didn't get any plugs. I have since found a way to make my own for about $2 each.

If anyone is interested, how should I post the info? I'm not interested in making them to sell, I just thought it may help someone who needs them, instead of the e source at $20+ per set!

So do you want to use your receiver, or is it important that it be a pristine original unit?

Lets see your work!:banana:
 
I registered my account today just to let you know I'm also looking forward to your results. I just picked up an SA-900 amp and need some speaker plugs.
 
I don't remember seeing these connectors/sockets on my SX-939, but would these work? They're about $3.50 a pair and made by W.S. Deans - available at most hobby shops. Meant to handle up to 45A DC but people have pushed them as high as 75A.

wsdm1302.jpg
 
plug fix

OK, I finally got back to show a couple of inexpensive plugs for the SX series. I have four pics, and if i can't add all four to the post, I'll add the odd one or two to the post after.

These are simple, if you have a few workshop tools. You need an electric grinder, doesn't matter which wheel you have, and a pair of pliers. The screwdriver and wire stripper is assumed to be available also!

1. At Home Dopey, you can buy the Leviton plugs for power plug repair. Each one costs a whopping $1.57. In the pics, the yellow one is from Lowies, but I don't like them as well. Anyway, buy at least 4 for your efforts. In another post, someone tried to use a power cord with plug but they wind up too wide so you can't get them both plugged in under the same set A, or B.... Remove the plug inserts from the plug holders.

2. Look at the pics, and you'll see that the original plug is as normal as any everyday plug for an outlet. What you need to do is use the grinder and take off 1/16"- 1/8" off each spade lug. But pay attention here! Do not grind too much too fast or the holder part will start to melt and leave the spade lug loose in the body. Grind each one and then lightly grind off any sharp edges. Note: If you don't grind off enough you will be able to go back and grind a touch more if the plug is too tight.

3. After you grind off each blade the 1/8" and you have removed any burrs, once the piece is cool, you're ready to bend. Take your pliers and grab one blade about 3/4 of the way to where it enters the plastic body. Firmly twist the blade 90 degrees. If you hold too far away from the body the plug may not have enough length for proper contact inside the receiver. I also had to shave just a skosh off the body to allow both to insert easier, I did that with a utility knife, carefully!

4. Using the pliers, you will probably have to carefully squeeze the blades closer to each other so it fits the plug socket on the rear of the receiver. If it's too tight, you either have to squeeze a little more OR you may need to grind off a touch more. It's that simple!!

Once you get each to fit, you can attach your speaker wires to the screw lugs. Looking at the 2 styles of plugs, I like the black Leviton style, but the yellow style screw connectors don't seem as nice as the black ones.

One small thing is after you insert the new plug, it doesn't go into the receiver all the way because of the twist you put in the one leg. To me this isn't any different than the exposed connections for speakers anyway! If you're worried about it, you could place one of those small rubber bands they use for live lobster claws on the spade lugs which would protect the 1/4" not able to be inserted!

Easy fix, 2 plugs with tax costs about $3.25.......Only you know what's behind your receiver :-)
 

Attachments

  • DSCF3598.jpg
    DSCF3598.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCF3599.jpg
    DSCF3599.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 345
  • DSCF3600.jpg
    DSCF3600.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCF3602.jpg
    DSCF3602.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
I found this thread today while trying to source connectors for an early Technics receiver I have. Is there a common name given to these types of connector?
 
Back
Top Bottom