• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer T-6600

Tube Radio

Super Member
:music:I just bought a Pioneer T-6600 at my local flea market for $15.90. I didn't need another reel to reel, but when I saw it was a Pioneer I purchased it. Nothing major wrong except it needs a set of belts which are on the way along with a service manual. IMHO playback is great, but not quite as good as my AKAI GX-255 :D.

What are your opinions on this reel to reel?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have one and I really like it. It isn't as nice as my RT-707, but it has some nice features, electric forward and reverse. I also will be installing the new belts soon, I have them and the service manual but haven't had the time to start the project. I would say you got a great deal for 15.00. Congrats
 
I have Pioneer RTR too, think it's the T6100 model. I know it has automatic reverse. It could use some new belts too. Where did you order the belts from? It sound nice, but not as good as my Akai 4000DB.
Anytime you can get a functioning good brand RTR for $15, you are doing great!
 
I have Pioneer RTR too, think it's the T6100 model. I know it has automatic reverse. It could use some new belts too. Where did you order the belts from? It sound nice, but not as good as my Akai 4000DB.
Anytime you can get a functioning good brand RTR for $15, you are doing great!

I'll post the name of the on-line store I got my belts from tonight when I get home.
 
I installed the belts yesterday and the reel to reel works wonderfully. I would also recommend this product http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.179/.f for the rubber wheels in any reel to reel or any thing that uses rubber wheels. I've used it and the stuff works wonders. I had a problem with the two rubber wheels that put tension on the tape when in playback or record not turning (they run against the supply and takeup things the reels go on), but this stuff solved that problem. I also cleraned the capstain pinch roller with it. I only wish this reel to reel had AKAI GX heads on it :D I am very pleased with it especially it's ability to record in forward and reverse which my AKAI GX 255 cannot do (only records forward), but the AKAI sounds better at 3 3/4 IPS then the Pioneer does. They both sound about the same at 7 1/2 IPS. Another thing I don't really like is the meters on the Pioneer receive their signal after the output level control. I could probbably change that when I get a service manual for it. I guess the place I ordered the belts from didn't have it.
 
The belts and service manual should be in today.

I just bought a T6600 and as soon as a take-up reel arrives I will check the status of the mechanics. I'm sure I'll be ordering the belts from Vintage-Electronics as well. Pinch roller and heads look to be in good condition at this point. I was surprised to find this unit has 6 belts, which seems like alot to me. Also, the right channel meter light is out, so I will order all new lights for the sake of it (four I believe). I am going to order a service manual and user manual shortly and I will scan them and provide them after they arrive. In the spirit of helping each other out, the first thing I will do is upload them to all the audio forums that have a manual repository. With all these various forum's resources that already have an excellent databases to download from, I'll be adding these so others don't have to spend $$ unnecessarily!

Update: manuals arrived, I just need to have them scanned. I will get to a scanner and have this done in the next week hopefully. I see that there are 6 belts due to this being a single motor machine. So far the unit does play in both directions and brakes nicely. There is a bit of slow starting depending on how much tape is being pulled for a given direction, so the belts will be ordered and will do an oiling at the strategic points. It's such a nicely kept unit that this is the least I can do. I wouldn't consider this a replacement for my turntable system by any means, but more of something fun I've never explored before.
 
Last edited:
I just bought a T6600 and as soon as a take-up reel arrives I will check the status of the mechanics. I'm sure I'll be ordering the belts from Vintage-Electronics as well. Pinch roller and heads look to be in good condition at this point. I was surprised to find this unit has 6 belts, which seems like alot to me. Also, the right channel meter light is out, so I will order all new lights for the sake of it (four I believe). I am going to order a service manual and user manual shortly and I will scan them and provide them after they arrive. In the spirit of helping each other out, the first thing I will do is upload them to all the audio forums that have a manual repository. With all these various forum's resources that already have an excellent databases to download from, I'll be adding these so others don't have to spend $$ unnecessarily!

Update: manuals arrived, I just need to have them scanned. I will get to a scanner and have this done in the next week hopefully. I see that there are 6 belts due to this being a single motor machine. So far the unit does play in both directions and brakes nicely. There is a bit of slow starting depending on how much tape is being pulled for a given direction, so the belts will be ordered and will do an oiling at the strategic points. It's such a nicely kept unit that this is the least I can do. I wouldn't consider this a replacement for my turntable system by any means, but more of something fun I've never explored before.

Is there a tutorial on how the reach and change the Belts, and oil the strategic points? I have a T-6600 and it was working fine. Was stored away for a few years and now the reels are not turning at all, even If I ''help'' them a bit, nothing moves nor turns at first sight.. I was able to take the back of, the motor is there, but there is no way to reach the belt from there.. Any help would be welcomed!
 
Hello everyone!
I bought a Pioneer T-6600 on ebay in the USA, but immediately ran into the problem of translating from 60 to 50Hz.
The spare pulley must be complete with a tape recorder, naturally it is not there as in most cases, for many years all this is lost or thrown away ...
I found another tape recorder of the same type, but with a 50Hz sticker, although there wasn’t much hope for luck, because the tape recorder was used in the USA, but I bought it anyway.))
And so it happened, the pulley turned out to be the same at 60Hz.
Maybe someone has a tape recorder that works at 50Hz-220V?
Are you interested in the diameter of a pulley at 50Hz, or any information on how to correctly count the diameter of a pulley from 60 to 50Hz? Or buy, maybe someone has it in the kit?
I would be grateful for any information.
Dmitry.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20200531_213321.jpg
    IMG_20200531_213321.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200531_115612.jpg
    IMG_20200531_115612.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom