• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer XD-Z64M Tape Deck - Mechanism locked

Wolfindel

New Member
Hello, and it’s a pleasure to meet you all. My name is Javier and I’ve just joined the forum. I’m quite desperate because of a fault affecting both cassette decks in my system. I have a Pioneer XD-Z64M, with its radio modules, turntable and speakers. I’m very fond of it because it’s my older brother’s system, which is how I first started listening to vinyl, cassettes and CDs. I find it difficult to express myself in English, but I’ll try to explain my problem as best I can.

1782330865775.png

When the stereo starts up, both cassette decks try to reposition themselves, making a series of noises. Deck 1 works from time to time, although it has now stopped doing so. I’ve never been able to get Deck 2 to play, but when I press play, the equaliser shows that the head is reading the tape I’ve taken the unit apart and managed to start the cassette in this state to see how it worked. Basically, the gear that’s supposed to drive the gears which in turn drive the cassette isn’t making contact. If I raise the mechanism, it reaches the cassette perfectly, but the part that’s supposed to hold it up doesn’t stay in place. For example, if I raise it by hand before inserting the cassette – in the case of deck 1 – it stays up and when I start it, it reads the cassette. But when I change the orientation of the player, it drops down, then rises again and loses contact once more. As for Deck 2, which is the one that reads and records, I can’t raise it by hand. I’ve recorded a video for you; I’m speaking in Spanish, but at least you can see how it works and what I mean. There’s a lot of old grease on it, and I’ve tried to remove it with contact cleaner. I reckon having too much grease might cause it to slip down, because in some cases it wouldn’t stay in place when I did it by hand, but after cleaning it, it’s stayed in place.

DECK 1:

DECK 2 (A old video that I recorded for a friend):

Maintenance manual

I took it to someone who, in theory, knew what they were doing, but it came back the same – the CDs still wouldn’t play xD. Then I realised I’d moved a potentiometer; it’s working better now because I’ve adjusted it bit by bit, but I’ve got hold of an oscilloscope so I can do it properly.

I don’t have much experience in this area, but I’d like to fix my brother’s kit and learn as I go. Thank you very much, and best regards.
 
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom