• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Planted rhubarb last year. It's paying off

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
Subscriber
It been a really good year for rhubarb with all the rain. Planted it last year and it's taken off. Even the plant that I thought last years drought killed off is going gang busters. Made this rhubarb custard pie today and it's cooling now. Hard to wait. Super easy recipe and it's the best I've ever had. Store bought regular pie shell only holds 3 cups of rhubarb and I use a scosche more milk.

53035044495_14569f86d7_h.jpg


53034671846_6fafaa7406_h.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
OH Boy !!!
Haven't had anything like that in years ---

Looks delicious -- even better than that!

Agree with baeron, some good quality vanilla ice cream is just the ticket.
Now, if you have a hand crank ice cream maker nothing better than homeade Vanilla Ice Cream, unless it's strawberry, but with your pie; Vanilla it is...

Memories from a lonng time ago --

Never heard of milk or NUTMEG in Rhubarb pie, but hey, I am willing to try, uhh save me a fat slice, and don't eat it all.
who woulda thought an audio site would leave me Pie Eyed.

Super thanks for sharing,now I am mouth watering, like a rabid dog ...

Gotta try your recipe, IF I can find rhubarb around here.

PS, I would be making my own crust, YUP~

Enjoy !
 
Nope. I got to be a good boy. 2 was too many with Type 2. Didn't eat dinner so I could indulge.
 
OH Boy !!!
Haven't had anything like that in years ---

Looks delicious -- even better than that!

Agree with baeron, some good quality vanilla ice cream is just the ticket.
Now, if you have a hand crank ice cream maker nothing better than homeade Vanilla Ice Cream, unless it's strawberry, but with your pie; Vanilla it is...

Memories from a lonng time ago --

Never heard of milk or NUTMEG in Rhubarb pie, but hey, I am willing to try, uhh save me a fat slice, and don't eat it all.
who woulda thought an audio site would leave me Pie Eyed.

Super thanks for sharing,now I am mouth watering, like a rabid dog ...

Gotta try your recipe, IF I can find rhubarb around here.

PS, I would be making my own crust, YUP~

Enjoy !
I'm not a nutmeg fan but it really works in this recipe and it wouldn't be as good without it. I've got some Haagen-Dazs vanilla also some coffee flavored. Life's too short for cheap ice cream.
 
Last edited:
Our rhubarb did pretty well this year. But not like years past. I hear that it's a very heavy feeder. I fertilize around the small plants every spring but they still seem to get thinner and thinner stalks as time goes on. 20 years ago they were huge. Still delicious now, and more than we need...just smaller.
 
MMM! Rhubarb pie, unadulterated with strawberries, the way God intended. Wish I could find some around here!
I'm with you on no strawberries. I've had rhubarb strawberry pie that was good. This custard rhubarb pie IMHO is far superior.
 
Our rhubarb did pretty well this year. But not like years past. I hear that it's a very heavy feeder. I fertilize around the small plants every spring but they still seem to get thinner and thinner stalks as time goes on. 20 years ago they were huge. Still delicious now, and more than we need...just smaller.
At the old house it was the same. Had a great rhubarb patch and after several years it was done. Was always told horse s*** was what really helped rhubarb grow. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with some in the middle of horse country Kentucky. Could Google it and see if it's really a thing that rhubarb dies out. Planted raspberries last year and really didn't think I'd get any this year but they're heavily into bloom right now. Trying now to keep the Japanese beetles off of them. If I get enough might make preserves. Now that would be nice. Homemade raspberry preserves on top of vanilla ice cream. Probably start out with some fresh raspberries first on that Häagen-Dazs
 
Last edited:
Here's something off the net about rhubarb.

Many rhubarb patches will continue to produce a good harvest for 15 years or more. Although the best rhubarb yields will typically come from patches that are about 8-10 years or younger. A good rule of thumb is to divide the plants every 5 to 6 years in fall or early spring.
 
OK Sanford12 has gotten me on a roll -- yeesh food jokes..

I looked through my moms old recipes today, (I have all of her things now) and came up with a couple really awesome recipes from like 1966 -68, from the newspaper.

Will start a new post about some of those soon.
Will have to find her recipe for Red Velvet Cake with like a cream chease kinda frosting... everybody used to beg for that. It says on the recipe "My kids love this" in her writing.

Still nothing beats hand crank homeade Ice cream -- special taste, and a bit of the rock salt (used with the ice) tends to get in the the top when you open the top. mmm
I always made sure to lick the beater clean....
 
Rhubarb's been growing voluntarily in my back yard for at least six years. I let one or two go to seed and pull out the rest as weeds. A weed being a plant you don't want. That being said, my mom and me-ma made great rhubarb pie with nice flaky crusts. The secret to a great flaky crust being lard. Same secret applies to biscuits.
 
Last edited:
Rhubarb is weird, looks like red celery, tastes kind of like strawberries. Love rhubarb pie but it just doesn't look like it should taste how it does.
 
Rhubarb been growing voluntarily in my back yard for at least six years. I let one or two go to seed and pull out the rest as weeds. A weed being a plant you don't want. That being said, my mom and me-ma made great rhubarb pie with nice flaky crusts. The secret to a great flaky crust being lard. Same secret applies to biscuits.
it still grows in my backyard and there hasn't been a garden out there in at least 25 years
 
Surprisingly Wall-Mart has good frozen pie crust and Häagen-Dazs is about as close as you can get to homemade. I'm lazy and just not into the time it takes plus it's just me. Now if family was coming that would be a different story.
 
Last edited:
Haagen-Daz has been my go-to since the mid 70's. :thumbsup:
Across the street from the Alamo and I don't know if it's still there but they had a Haagen-Dazs ice cream shop. The only place where I ever tasted Bailey's Irish cream flavored Häagen-Dazs. It was so good that we had to have it again the next day. Just checked the Häagen-Dazs website and it doesn't look like they make it anymore. That's a real shame because it was wonderful.
 
Speaking of the Alamo, have you ever had drinks in the Menger Hotel's bar? Teddy Roosevelt is reputed to have recruited Rough Riders there.
 
Back
Top Bottom