• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Please help a dumbo out with this turntable sale

james2moon

New Member
Hello,
I don't know anything about turntable, but I am trying to purchase one for a friend of mine to surprise him. I also don't know anyone personally that has knowledge on these things. All I've gathered from the web was to not get LP-60, Crosby, and such. Instead, it would be better to purchase old turntable apparently with my budget (around $150 but preferably less). Maybe I should get something new like a sony ps-lx 300? I found this ad on craigslist, but i'm not sure what it's worth. Should I purchase it? What should I look out for and what should i ask? Any help is appreciated.
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/6710910912.html

edit: turntable and not vinyl
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'd say the PL-400 is a far better choice than the Sony, as long as you can audition it and make sure all of the automatic functions work. The supplied cartridge isn't great but would be fine for casual listening and can always be upgraded later. Owners and service manuals are available for it at vinylengine.com once your register for free.
 
It would be helpful to know what equipment your friend has right now. Does he already have a turntable? a receiver and speakers? Most turntables in that price range will require a preamp or a receiver/integrated amp with a phono input.
And the word "vinyls" rubs some of us the wrong way. I think you mean to say "records."
 
I believe the actual intent was 'it would be better to purchase an older turntable'.

In any case you do want to make sure everything works and that includes playing a record on it. Unless you know you are buying one that doesn't have a cartridge or stylus and you plan to go get one. But if it is being sold as fully working, check it out to make sure of that.

And whatever you do, avoid buying a used TT online (i.e. ebay) because it is likely to be destroyed in transit due to idiots packing (or not packing).
 
It would be helpful to know what equipment your friend has right now. Does he already have a turntable? a receiver and speakers? Most turntables in that price range will require a preamp or a receiver/integrated amp with a phono input.
And the word "vinyls" rubs some of us the wrong way. I think you mean to say "records."
No, he doesn't have anything at the moment. I need to familiarize myself with all these terminology because they all go over my head.
 
If he doesn't have anything then a turntable won't be too useful by itself. With a stand alone turntable you need some sort of amplification and speakers to hear anything. The Cosby suitcase turntables (sorry, couldn't resist)have an amplifier and speakers in the suitcase, so it's an all in one solution.

To get a vintage turntable to be useful, you will need a receiver or integrated amp with a phono stage and passive speakers to plug it into. Alternately, you could buy a separate phono stage and powered speakers to plug the turntable into.

A modern turntable with a built in phono preamp could be plugged directly into powered speakers. Alternately, with a modern table you could get passive speakers with an amp that doesn't have a built in phono stage.
 
So your friend doesn't have a stereo of any kind?
Does your friend have records!?
 
Hello,
This Monday, I had to put my dog down that I had for 15 years and I am very heartbroken. The procedure was costly as well.
I don't think I will be purchasing this turntable after all.
I just wanted to thank everyone in this community for their responses and inputs. I was only expecting one or two responses;however, I've received plenty of feedback and was even overwhelmed when a user personally sent me a complete turntable guide and newsletters to my inbox. I've learned a lot over the past few days.
I'm sure I'll come back here again.
Thank you very much.

P.S. This thread can be closed.
 
Back
Top Bottom