Ok so I'm pretty new here so please let me know if I'm posting on the right board here and whatnot, but anyway here's the story.
I recently bought a Marantz 1520 receiver from eBay for fairly cheap (definitely scared it would come busted up) and being someone who only has a little electrical knowledge but absolutely loves to tinker, I decided it might be a good idea to recap it. It did work fine when it arrived and I used it continuously while waiting for the parts to come in so I know that it DID work. So, first I went on a search for the service manual, but found next to nothing about the 1520. After a bit more searching I realized that it was a less popular slightly older brother to the Marantz 1515 (just with 5w more per channel). So after matching up some parts from the 1515 service manual and the actual caps themselves, I ordered the parts and started the process.
I have had a bit of experience soldering on a few other projects and have never messed anything up terribly before so I had some confidence. I started with the phono amp board and everything seemed to go fine there. I plugged it in again still disassembled just to test it and it seemed to work fine. However, the front tone amp board was loose because I had already pulled it out to work on it next, so it tapped the metal chassis and it kinda popped a bit so I just shut it off real quick. Maybe that means nothing maybe it does, just thought it worth mentioning. So I then continued on to the tone amp board and replaced the caps there. (also noticed that a few of the original caps on here had started to corrode downwards)
HERE'S THE ISSUE THOUGH: Testing it after the tone amp board and phono board, the speakers just crackle and give off small pops. The bulbs light up, the tuner works and stereo light lights up showing I've found a radio channel, but it only crackles. I then tested with headphones which also emit the same crackle, however, sound can be heard very faintly through the pops.
Obviously I have already cleaned all of the pots, so it shouldn't be coming from then (especially since it worked fine before) Also I haven't even touched the main amp board or tuner section so I don't believe those are part of the problem. No obvious visible mishaps and polarity has been double checked so I don't know what I could have done wrong
Also I replaced all of the caps with identical uF and v ratings from nichicon as to not mess that up.
Any suggestions as to what I could have goofed would be much appreciated, sorry for such a long post
I recently bought a Marantz 1520 receiver from eBay for fairly cheap (definitely scared it would come busted up) and being someone who only has a little electrical knowledge but absolutely loves to tinker, I decided it might be a good idea to recap it. It did work fine when it arrived and I used it continuously while waiting for the parts to come in so I know that it DID work. So, first I went on a search for the service manual, but found next to nothing about the 1520. After a bit more searching I realized that it was a less popular slightly older brother to the Marantz 1515 (just with 5w more per channel). So after matching up some parts from the 1515 service manual and the actual caps themselves, I ordered the parts and started the process.
I have had a bit of experience soldering on a few other projects and have never messed anything up terribly before so I had some confidence. I started with the phono amp board and everything seemed to go fine there. I plugged it in again still disassembled just to test it and it seemed to work fine. However, the front tone amp board was loose because I had already pulled it out to work on it next, so it tapped the metal chassis and it kinda popped a bit so I just shut it off real quick. Maybe that means nothing maybe it does, just thought it worth mentioning. So I then continued on to the tone amp board and replaced the caps there. (also noticed that a few of the original caps on here had started to corrode downwards)
HERE'S THE ISSUE THOUGH: Testing it after the tone amp board and phono board, the speakers just crackle and give off small pops. The bulbs light up, the tuner works and stereo light lights up showing I've found a radio channel, but it only crackles. I then tested with headphones which also emit the same crackle, however, sound can be heard very faintly through the pops.
Obviously I have already cleaned all of the pots, so it shouldn't be coming from then (especially since it worked fine before) Also I haven't even touched the main amp board or tuner section so I don't believe those are part of the problem. No obvious visible mishaps and polarity has been double checked so I don't know what I could have done wrong
Any suggestions as to what I could have goofed would be much appreciated, sorry for such a long post
