• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Polk Audio Monitor 4 series 2-or-DCM CX-17

hearin'shit

New Member
Which would you purchase?

I've read lots of material on-line about the famous vintage monitor series by polk, and these monitors are the smallest of the group ( monitor 4's), the seller is asking $50.

I also found some DCM CX-17 bookshelf speakers for $50 too. I don't know much about DCM, but have found some positive feedback in some on-line reviews...

that's why i thought I'd ask my fellow forum users their experience(s) with these bookshelf speakers.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have/had several versions of the polk monitors. I still have my 5's and 10's. Gave away the 4.5's to my nephew. Haven't heard the DCM 17's, but do own some DCM TF's. Tough call. I'd lean toward the 17's. Not sure why I'd choose the 17's over the Polk 4's, but that's my story.
 
If they're both in good condition, it's a no brainer. Get both, enjoy both. Try each in different rooms. Sell the pair you like the least for more than you paid. You could sell the Polks to the guy here who's looking for a desktop set. Or use the DCM CX-17's in the main room, and the Polk's in a bedroom system, or in a different room wired as the "B" set from the main system's receiver. Caveat: if your receiver is rated for speakers with a minimum impedence of 8 ohms or more, both sets shouldn't be played at the same time.

If you live in a studio apartment, or soon will be, get the DCM CX-17s.
 
Last edited:
I have to admit I am not very experienced with Polk but know the CX series DCMs very well. Their transmission line cabinets and robust drivers get the nod every time.
 
Back
Top Bottom